I Forge Iron

Replacement Motor/Jury-Rigging Ideas, Champion No. 50

CyDuck

Hi all.

So it rained this week, and I haven't had flashing on my stack for my coal forge all summer. I wasn't thinking properly and I ran my forge with my electric blower. It ran a little funny but I attributed it to a damp rheostat. Long story short, the blower burnt out.

It's a Champion No. 50 blower, which is unfortunate because there's not much information left on them, much less spare parts. It's new to me, but it had been rebuilt before judging by the local electric shop stickey on it. Opening it up, it was apparent that it had been over-oiled frequently in its lifetime. One of the brush caps was solid plastic, most likely replaced the last time it had been in the repair shop, so it probably wasn't making great contact. I should have taken it apart before. The water was probably just a push too far over the edge and it's well and truly dead.

So now I have a dead motor, but still a good fan blade and housing. Before I take the motor to a repair shop and pay an exorbitant amount of money to get it looked at professionally, does anyone have any good ideas on a replacement motor? I was thinking about trying a box fan motor but I doubt it could be variably sped.

Thanks in advance for ideas and admonishments!

I took to it with some brake cleaner, haven't tried WD-40. Had a multimeter in it and it's just not consistent across the coil, and I don't get any reading from the positive lead to either of the brush contacts.