I Forge Iron

Asking for help with anvil stand

Any recommendation in particular on a steel DIY stand? Ive been welding for years and just bought an anvil. Need to make a stand. I have 4x4 3/16 wall tube, 1/8" plate 3/16 plate, 1/4"x4" angle. Too much to list. Havent figured out what I should use yet. Sounds like you have them figured out.

4x4 for the legs, 3/16 plate for the feet. And you need to find a 1" plate or similar  for the top.

Make a tripod, legs at 12 degree or so, fill the legs with sand and oil, plenty of detailed designs to copy on this site. 

Mine is 2" x 4" rectangular tubing with a 2" x 2" angle iron flange up top. I should've made better feet but these work okay, the wide one under the horn is to make it easier to get a hand truck under it and be stable. The anvil's foot slips into the angle iron rim and is wedged in place by the hammer and tong racks. 

The tripod is stable on most any surface and the angle iron rim keeps it in place nicely, the chain around it in pic 1 is connected to my engine hoist to load in the pickup truck, it won't come out of the stand with the racks driven in place.

Nothing in the legs but a drain hole in each to let condensation out. 

Steel stands are quiet, they have a different resonant frequency than an anvil so they self damp the ring. Even my dangerously loud Soderfors is comfortable to work on without hearing protection just don't miss and strike the horn or heal directly with a hammer.

Frosty The Lucky.

253560978_Anvilstand01s.JPG.2793a01a8f8ff8f2b6740c84e785b369.JPG 1695224341_Hammerrack01.JPG.f007b13bfb03c22dac6a8d9040390075.JPG