I Forge Iron

Pre-Heat Oxygen Pressure for Oxy/Acet Cutting

Here is a chart I found. I usually set the Oxygen on 40 psi and the Acetylene on about 10 psi. I am not sure what your question is. Open the bottom valve(for the oxygen) when cutting all the way. This lets the oxygen flow full force while cutting.
Pressures.gif

Thanks for the advice and information thus far provided.

I have done further research online and found that setting pre-heat oxygen pressure is not associated with the equipment I have. My equipment has only two hoses (one for oxygen, one for acetelyene), with a single regulator for each hose. Evidently, some setups have a second oxygen regulator and a second oxygen hose.

I found a Victor "Welding, Cutting and Heating Guide" that states "Pre-heat Oxygen PSIG" is applicable for 3-hose machine cutting torches only. With a 2-hose cutting torch, preheat pressure is set by the cutting oxygen"

I was confused by tip and pressure charts that have columns for pre-heat pressures, but did not qualify their use and requirements.

Update.... A little more qualification...

When it states that the pre-heat pressure is set by the cutting oxygen, it means that the user sets a single oxygen pressure, that being the oxygen-cutting pressure.

The follow-on process to create a proper pre-heat "cone" evidently limits the oxygen flow for the pre-heat oxy/acet mix.... and thus provides for a proper oxygen volume (SCFH), as opposed to contolling the amount of oxygen used by the pre-heat by pressure.

Anyway..... If I understand it correctly, that's how it must work.

Edited by djhammerd
Qualification....

LDW, Not to be a wise guy at all, But I adjust my regulators almost any time I use my torch. The thicker the metal, the more pressure and vice versa. Even If your average pressure only went to 30 psi, you would save 25% on your oxy bill alone. If you don't cut much it probably will not matter much.

I do not think you are being a wise guy at all, That makes good sense. I do not do a lot of cutting, but I still hate to have to get the bottles filled. Everything I learned about a torch was doing plant maintenance years ago with oxygen I did not have to purchase. I was just being honest. Thanks Artfist, thats another reason I enjoy this site.