I Forge Iron

Dad made the paper

Brian C.

• 2 weeks later...

Ten Hammers,

No Dad is not a vet. Dad is a retired orthotist. He spent 50 years making orthopaedic braces for people. A vet sketched this brace for the dog & Dad made it (he told me that if he had designed it, it would have had metal hinges in it). He has also made complete leg prothsesis (sp) for high dollar horses.

I once had a nice talk with a fellow who had been the smith for the orthos at a big hospital during WWII. Made a lot of custom ironware to help things keep oriented right during healing.

He told me that the large anvil was still in the basement of that hospital---never managed to get a way to it...

Thomas

Thomas,

Dad told me that the first job they learned how to do in the brace business was how to forge joints (knee, ankle, etc.). Start each morning with six 5/8" bars, heat & beat all day. When you became good at that, then you learned how to do something else. Wish I had been interested in smithing before he retired and let a lot of tools, gadgets, & fixtures get away. :cry: