I Forge Iron

Greetings from Alberta!

Chris J Dixon

Obviously new to the forum but I've been moving sheet metal back to a predetermined shape for as many years as I can remember in the Collision and Restoration trade.  Shaping steel cold has it's merits but the warmth of the forge is what's grabbed my attention lately.  I'm very new to the craft but have accumulated tools and equipment enough to dive in head long. I look forward to learning from all of you.

I've built a simple propane forge and will post some pics for your scrutiny and advice in the next couple of days. I would love to use coal but am close to a set of neighbors who complain about smoke when we have a backyard fire so I'll keep the peace and use gas.

Here's my forge. It's made out of 2" angle and 4-1/2 X 9 firebricks with a burner that I copied off of the internet which I believe is a Riel inspired burner. Inside volume is around 245 cu in which I'm thinking is still a little big. I've yet to add a front shelf and I plan on putting refractory cement in the bottom to level it which will cut into my cu in some.  This was the first fire and it quickly blew itself out which I realized was air coming in around the burner so I stuffed some of my ceramic blanket in there to stop that and moved the burner to only stick out about an 1/8". It seems to work good for now. I'm not sure how long the firebricks will last but I suppose time will tell. If I end up replacing the bricks, I'll probably make a new top as this one warped when I welded the burner mount on the top but it still hits the center.

I like simple, but now that I've seen these ribbon burners, I'm thinking of a new build. But first to the anvil!!

IMG_3457.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG

IMG_3460.JPG

Good Morning, Chris

You are entering the world of 'Who makes the Best Mouse-Trap'. There always is a good, better, best. But it depends on so many things. Stay with your Forge, make it work properly, BEFORE YOU CHANGE TACTS!! Yes a ribbon burner works, but the bird in your hand is always not as good as the bird in the bush!!

If you cut some pieces of brick, put a narrow piece at your door sill, add a couple of short pieces at the edges of the end walls. Leave a gap (you will learn how much, by adjusting your pieces). Add a split brick across the top of the door, to keep the heat inside the Forge. Remember, Heat Rises. What I am trying to say politely, Fill in the Ends!!

This is a Journey, there is no Destination or Examination. YOU are your biggest critic! Enjoy the ride!!

Neil