I Forge Iron

Restore a Canedy Otto belt driven handle pumped blower

SwissSmith

Been looking on the forum and haven’t seen much info or pictures about this blower that I think is pretty old. My thought is that it is a “transition” piece as technology was making bellows obsolete. But some didn’t want to crank a blower, they wanted to pump like a bellows?? A theory, but unproved so far.

Any way it was given to me as a treasured gift from a guy whose great grand pappy used it. I want to honor my buddy’s grand dad and restore it. And if it throws some good air out and is enjoyable to pump, maybe put into my new smithy. I’m thinking it would be quieter than my Champion 400. But don’t know about CFM  produced.

Looking for pictures of restored ones, info, patent drawings, help, links etc. towards rebuilding. Got some strange exterior barrel like bearings, missing one. And I am completely clueless as to how the leather belt that works from the handle works. The large flywheel seems easy enough. I’ve worked with leather enough to make the required belts once I get them figured out. I’m in Northern CA if ya know anyone that may want to work on this or help me I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks for any replies.

D4999AE4-A3F9-4AA9-863D-C4916E2741D8.jpeg

Greetings Swiss, 

I just posted a picture of one I restored ..  “Champion 1898 blower”.   The picture shows the belt arrangement which would be the same as yours.  Restorations are a challenge and many parts have to be manufactured.. Good luck and have fun

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Those are great blowers and work very well for a full sized forge..  I love the looks of these and also the old belt driven ones that are like 5ft tall with the big cast iron wheels.. 

if I had a more vintage shop, I'd probably have 1 of each,  Bellows, hand lever, and hand crank..  I think they are so neat.. 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I would love to see your photo of the restoration. Your heading says “Champion blower 1898” but we’re talking about the Canedy Otto Western Chief belt driven with a handle right? 

I found a website that shows an original factory Canedy Otto catalog circa turn of the century. The blower is shown in the catalog on pg. 81 or 84. That is gonna help. Site is: bamsite.org    

Mine appears pretty complete except missing a “barrel” shaft oil fed bearing. Hoping the internal clutch  is intact. How does your completed blower work? Does it move good quality of air? Does handle/belt drive operate in a way that would lend itself to daily forging? I don’t want all show and no go if I spend the effort to restore. Lots of questions I know, so thanks for any you can answer. Finally, where do I go to find your posted photo of restored blower? I’m new to this forum.

Thanks

Bob

Greetings Bob,

Until you are familiar with this site I will post the pictures .  Lots of questions . The pictures will show the belt arrangement and yes it is a great blower .. Lots of air..  When you find my previous post others have chimed in with comments. Start your restoration and post questions as you go.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

560B5807-23EA-4F7E-962B-F86FB9DFD88F.jpeg

3B89238E-D974-422E-A8EF-6FFC1E4B5EBA.jpeg

I have some pictures to share with you Swiss Smith.  The one in the photo is a Model B Western Chief Steel Frame Blower, which has a 16 1/2" fan that produces lots of air.    The Canedy Otto are known as quiet blowers as they used bushings compared to Champion that used ball bearings.  

I need to make a new belt for this one as I have on a temporary belt currently. 

What model number does yours have?  The B model has an oval outlet whereas the E appears to have a round outlet--which looks like yours and has a 14 1/2" fan.  

Interesting theory about this being a transition piece of technology.  I would like to hear more discussion or see some old blacksmith journal articles relating to this technology.   

BC85A6D3-E99F-4F52-B9B1-344320504888.jpeg

7BA8A5B6-F928-408F-ACCC-6E77C714FF80.jpeg

F5E53C7F-AF04-4B0B-80EB-21EAF2CCAB23.jpeg

73B531F1-7196-482A-A8E0-43719C135C16.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Ede,Jim,JLP,

Thanks for the responses and esp. the photos. Ede, my Canady Otto is a model E. Found an old turn of the century Canady Otto calalog that has great drawings if anyone else needs, let me know. The model E sold for $23. Anybody have any of the original brass barrel bushings around, I only need two.

Thanks again. Starting my restoration this winter, good indoor project.

Bob

• 2 years later...