I Forge Iron

Metal Cutting Safety

Metal Cutting Safety
ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES

Dressing Metal - With all the different ways we have to cut metal whether using chop saws, band saws, cut off hardies, hack saws or torchs, always make sure that the newly cut ends are cleaned up and dressed of any burrs that are left. It is even more important that the metal that is being put back into the rack be free from burrs, so that anyone reaching into the rack doesn't get cut. This can be done by using files, bench grinders and bench sanders. After cutting steel (if hot cutting make sure the metal is cold first or use a hot file), grind, sand or file the burrs and lightly run your finger over the end to make sure that all the burrs are remove, if not repeat the process. ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when you are dressing metal. I find that wearing a face shield as well as safety glasses gives added protection when operating a grinder or belt sander to protect from any bit of metal or sparks.

Face Protection - Always wear face protection when cutting or dressing metal in the shop. There are different types of face protection that can be used for cutting and dressing metal.

• Goggles
- Goggle fit fully around the eyes and is tensioned by an elastic band that goes around the head. These offer very good eye protection, but can suffer from fogging. Anti fogging wipes and sprays work fairly well to eliminate this. They do tend to leave an unfashionable ring around eyes though.
  • Safety Glasses
- Safety glasses come in alot of different styles to suit the taste of the wearer. They also come in a lot of different shades also. You can get safety glasses to fit you eye prescription. Prescription safety glasses are fitted with side shields that may or may not be removable. Side shields need to be replaced every now and then as they tend to cloud up with age, reducing your perifferal vision. Safety glasses don't fit a tight as goggle and have to potential to allow debri from above, below and from the sides where gaps form around the face. Used in combination with a face shield, they have the potention of keeping 99% of debri out. Safty glasses should be Z87 rated.
  • Face Shield
- Face shields give full face coverage with optimal viewing and are better for use on grinders and sanders.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a first-hand shot at why you need to wear specs when working metal. I was jig-sawing some thick-gauge stainless sheet, sans glasses, and had a little micro spec fly up into my eye. Just before it happened, my Guardian Angel whispered in my ear that I needed glasses and I blew it off. I even saw the thing glint before hitting. It stung for a while and caused me to tear a little then went away. I figured I teared it out. hahahahahahaha:rolleyes:

A few hours later, at dinner, I felt the sting again and asked my wife to take a look. I even pointed to where it was. Using a little mega magnet (luckily it was magnetic stainless - is that some 300 series?) she sucked it out. she was amazed at how small it was and that I could even feel it.

I typically wear glasses anytime I am in the "shop" and this once I didn't. I even usually have enough for four or five visitors as well as little foamy earplugs too.

I consider myself warned and verrry lucky.:cool: