I Forge Iron

Kinyon hammer countdown.

Todd,
Looks like you're making great progress. I can't wait to see the finished product :) I'm a little envious. A good deal of the excitement in building machines, at least for me, isn't the thought of getting to use it, but the build itself. There is some indescribable satisfaction and pleasure in being able to say "I did it my self!" (Not to mention the potential cost savings ;) )

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this weekend has been one stumbling block after another. Mainly dealing with trying to borrow a tap wrench from work big enough to tap the 1"-8 hole for the cylinder rod. Well, that is done now, and in a few minutes I'll head back out. Boy it takes a bit of effort to hand-tap a 1" hole.

I think I'm going to use the big cut-off wheels used with a die grinder to cut the pass-through for the 4" ram. The pass-through is so I can take the ram off once it is all assembled. Without it, I'd have to weld things so they wouldn't be removable. But I'll drill the corner and then use the cut-off wheels to connect them. Also, for the cylinder rod, I'm going to go with a 1 1/2" hole saw. I've been using a lot of cutting oil already on this.

The ram guide is drilled and tapped an ready to weld in place, though I'm going to wait until I can mock it up in place to make sure of the alignment.

Well, I'd better get back out and drill some more.

Thanks for the interest everbody.

Well, the drilling is going well. However, the belt on my cheap HF drill press was wearing out. It was literally about half gone. And my experiences with ordering spare parts from HF meant it was probably going to be at least six weeks for a replacement. But I was able to find a replacement belt at a nearby auto parts store. Even though the staff was sure they didn't have anything that would work. Drill isn't really slipping anymore. However, I'm working my way down on hole sizes. The 1 1/2" hole is done and I'm just about through with the 9/16" holes. Then I've got 27/64 for the 1/2"-13 tapped holes. Plus whatever I need to do to drill out the corners for the ram pass-through hole. I'll be cutting it with 3" cut-off disks using a die grinder.

Amusing fact of the day. Home Despot will sell you the disks, but they don't have an arbor for it.

Also, just called and the local air tools place has 3 of the 4 parts I ordered in. They are still waiting on the 5-way valve.

1.5" holes with a HF drill??? Wow there's hope for mine yet LOL. Or, are we talking about a 1.5" hole SAW? Otherwise, where did you find and inch and a half bit to fit in a chuck?? :) BTW, Really enjoying the chronology, Todd.

1.5" holes with a HF drill??? Wow there's hope for mine yet LOL. Or, are we talking about a 1.5" hole SAW? Otherwise, where did you find and inch and a half bit to fit in a chuck?? :) BTW, Really enjoying the chronology, Todd.

Hole saw. And I got it most of the way with the HF press, and then moved on to a regular electric hand drill to finish with the saw so it wouldn't mark up the table. I should be getting a few picture tonight to update with.

And here they are with the cylinder, and a picture of the ram being drilled.

hammer13.jpg hammer14.jpg hammer15.jpg

Oh, and the parts for the compressor arrived, and the vital part was the wrong one... :(

Edited by Torin

Sorry it has been so long since the last update. I've gotten the pass-through hole cut for the ram, but it took forever using cut-off disks on a die grinder. Then after it was cut, I had to grind down the ridge on the u-channel. But it is good now.

hammer16.jpg

It is starting to look like a real hammer now. However, I had to widen some holes I'd drilled because they didn't quite line up right. I probably should have done them on the mill at work with the DRO, but I didn't want to spend that much time at work.

hammer17.jpg

Then I found out that the top of the H-beam spacer wasn't as much of a perpendicular cut as I thought it was. Looks like the rod tapers 1/8" towards the spacer. But the nice thing is a 1/8" spacer under the U-channel makes it parallel again. I'll just weld it in place.

hammer18.jpg

Then I wound up spendng most of the day today working on the compressor. The problem with the compressor is that I need it to run continuously, and it didn't have everything it needed to run unloaded. I ordered the parts in , and after some juggling, I got them all. Well, the drawing of how to hook them up included some pieces on my compressor that were from later models. So I wound up making a mounting bracket for it. In the picture, everything that is shiney or unpainted grey is what I added on. So far it seems to be working ok, and I don't seem to have any leaks. This was the part I was worried about most. But it is now done.

Oh, I finally took a look at the power meter while it was running...pretty scary...

hammer19.jpg

Well, the local Parker rep hasn't been able to get the 5-way 2-position valve in yet, they are still trying to get it expedited. However Blacksmith's Depot does have it in stock now (probably got the only one in the warehouse) and reopened my order and will have it to me by Friday. This means I'm still on track. (Even though I didn't get any work done last night...watched a movie with my wife.)

Well, it turns out that I now have 2 5-way valves due to some miscommunications.

Oh well. Here is what they look like.

hammer20.jpg

Mounting bracket I made for it is pretty plain, but it works (I did switch out for longer bolts).

hammer25.jpg

And here is the air filter / regulator / oiler.

hammer22.jpg

However I managed to damage it a bit when installing it in the air line. There are little tabs that it uses to lock in the o-ring based conectors and some of the cracked off when I installed the unit. Good news is I can replace them with short sections of threaded pipe. Annoying but a $3 fix.

I didn't get it finshed this weekend like I'd hope, mainly because my wife said I was looking too tired to be safe and told me to stop. It is just a matter of hooking up the plumbing and making the treadle for it. I should still be able to get it finished by today, which is my (self imposed) deadline.

Here are the pictures of assembling and welding the hammer.

hammer27.jpg hammer28.jpg hammer30.jpg hammer29.jpg

I have to ask...

what's with the parking lot in the background?

Where I live, the back yard (and garage) runs up against a church parking lot. On the plus side, any day but Sunday and we have absolutely no parking problems. :D

Here she is. I got her to cycle for about a minute before calling it a night. It still need some tweaking, the treadle built, and some more reinforcement.

hammer35.jpg hammer36.jpg hammer37.jpg hammer38.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Torin,
I recently completed a Kinyon-style power hammer. I have 2 schematics that I could email to you, if you wish. One is a hand drawing from Dave Mudge at the Magic Hammer Forge, and the other is a cad drawing, which is basically the same thing. Both use the secondary regulator that was designed by the guys at the Alabama Forge Council.
Pete

Hello
I also would very must like to see the drawings and files. I have most of the parts
but the order of operation, escapes me. RAKessler (kessler.ra@gmail.com)
thanks for any help

Now that's a kn'eye beam! Get it? ("now that's a knoife!") Well, I thought it was funny! Anyway, looking good so far Todd :) Are you looking specifically for the air schematics? Here is a simple diagram from zoeller forge

Hello
I have looked at the details, but what controles the reciprecating action for the cylinder
up and down movement. Or is it every time you press down the hammer goes all the
way down and when you let up the hammer rises.
Or are the controles for the length of stroke??
rakessler

Well I did more searching on this massive incredibly informative. I hav you will find it. I say thanks to all
if you look long enough it is there, have a much better knowledge of the valve ane to say that I think I have a handle on the piping. Thanks all
rakessler

Hello
I have looked at the details, but what controles the reciprecating action for the cylinder
up and down movement. Or is it every time you press down the hammer goes all the
way down and when you let up the hammer rises.
Or are the controles for the length of stroke??
rakessler

A really simple explanation is that the up and down action of the ram trips a roller switch. When it is on the upstroke, it trips the switch to change the air direction to send the hammer down. Likewise, as it goes down, it trips the switch the other way (or again, depending on the way it may be configured and type switches used) to change the air direction to send the hammer back up. Edited by Dodge

Well, the local Parker rep hasn't been able to get the 5-way 2-position valve in yet, they are still trying to get it expedited. However Blacksmith's Depot does have it in stock now (probably got the only one in the warehouse) and reopened my order and will have it to me by Friday. This means I'm still on track. (Even though I didn't get any work done last night...watched a movie with my wife.)

I am sure others have asked and told other I can sell one for $50.oo plus postage.
rakessler
ps I guess I did not yell lound enough