I Forge Iron

electrolysis

Dodge

I have a large brass piece I want to make mountable. Ok, its a large Marine Corps emblem about 5" x 5" but it has no way to mount it to anything, so I thought about silver soldering some threaded couplings to the back of it for mounting purposes. I think the couplers I have may be stainless steel due to the reaction I observed the last time I soldered one to a steel knife tang. My question is, 'will there be a problem with electrolysis by soldering ss or even, perhaps a zinc plated coupler to brass, or is it even a factor I need to worry about?' I should say that this emblem will be subjected to all kinds of weather conditions as it will be mounted to a motor vehicle.

Scott, I might just go to the hardware store and find some brass machine screws, washers and nuts. If you insulated the fixing point to mount ( between the washers and the vehicle ) with some dialectric grease it might be the answer. Good luck.

We made some large copper sailboats one time and brazed stainless rods to represent the ropes coming from the mast, and they fell off. Had to go back and use copper. Here is a galvanic reaction pdf chart I found on the web. It says the farther apart on the list that the metals are the worse the reaction is.http://www.grabberman.com/Media/TechnicalData/127.pdf

Hey Dodge,

Given that it's going to be subjected to the stresses of the road (vibration as well as weather) the guys above may be right in leaning towards a more mechanical means to fasten it down.

The sculptor I work with always uses SS to provide mounting hardware for his bronze pieces. He welds them in place and to date (over 50 years), galvanic reaction hasn't been a problem . . . not sure about brass tho.

Let us know what you find out!

Thanks for you input guys. What I ended up doing after having no success with silver solder was to braze a 1/2 bolt to the back/inside of the globe. It was cast hollow and too thin to drill anything without drilling through it. This was not an option I wanted to explore except as a last result. As it was, I was worried about melting through it while brazing as this was a gift from a dear friend and I feared I was taking a chance on ruining it. Well, I went for it anyway and managed to only cause in a tiny dimple in the South America part. We will call it a topographical enhancement if it doesn't polish out ;)

6411.attach

6412.attach

6413.attach

6414.attach

Edited by Dodge

I think it might be, Dan. I'll ask the guy that gave it to me. He ordered several but didn't say where from. It originally only had a small loop to hang it on the wall or door etc. Its now on the grill of my truck. :D With the bolt I brazed on it it mounts just like a regulation sized emblem. Now all I need is a reeely big cover (for you civvies, thats a hat LOL)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I took so long, but here it is mounted :) I had it mounted on the grill but I wanted it centered and I didn't want to drill into the grill. Had to drill the bumper but that blank area screamed for it :D Now, I hope nobody needs a push! LOL
BTW Dan O. I asked my friend where he gets them and he just said "Not from SGT Grit". Sorry, he won't tell me any more.

6651.attach

Edited by Dodge