I Forge Iron

Potential Asbestos In My Forge?

Hi everyone, I purchased a forge at a yard sale to replace my original one, which was destroyed in an accident.

This new forge is in far better condition than my old one was, but I noticed something about its construction. The floor of the fire pot has an insulating layer on top of it which is covered by a metal plate. This plate is both bent upwards exposing the insulation, and smaller than the insulation.

Given the age of the forge and the appearance of the insulation, I am very worried about it being asbestos. Everyone I've asked agrees that it is most likely asbestos, but not on what I should do about it. My mother says to remove the asbestos and replace it with something like Kaowool. My father says to use it as-is, and my grandfather says to bend the metal back into place and then use it.

I agree that it should be replaced, especially since the blower is situated under the forge, and that the air travels right by it and it will cause the asbestos to be subjected to heavy vibration, which would likely release asbestos fibers according to the EPA website.

My worry about replacing it with Kaowool is that in these conditions, it will be no better than asbestos.

Any advice?

Welcome aboard Fan Fan guy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

Perhaps if you did a LITTLE reading on the forum you could get a useful reply to your question, maybe it's been answered already. Seriously you don't even specify what BASIC type forge you're asking about. MAYBE rather than just tossing it out in the wind on a forum with more than 4,700 hundred members in more than 150 countries around the world you might get a useful reply IF you picked a better place with a LITTLE basic info?

Till than there isn't much we can do for you. I'm not telling you to go away, we LOVE helping folks but you need to ask by using enough useful information in a PLACE designed to help you, so we CAN help. 

Does that make sense?

Frosty The Lucky.

Never heard of asbestos being used in a coal forge. Is it home built or a commercial model? As JHCC said without pictures we really can't begin to answer the question. It would also help to know where in the world you are located. A coal/coke forge doesn't need any insulation between the tuyere and fire grate, that's assuming your forge is a solid fuel one.