I Forge Iron

Last month I acquired this 160# Fisher anvil for $50.  It has some issues with a torch mark, chisel gouges, and some abused edges.  I rescued it from a rough life in a hillbilly garage.  The guy couldn't remember if it was in a garage fire or not.  I'll have to admit, after cleaning the surface with a wire brush before buying the face seemed lively, but not what I'm used to with my German Trenton.  There was no evidence outwardly of it being in a fire, so I took a chance.  After cleaning her up and trying to get some usable profile on the edges, I finally got around to a ball bearing test.  The face does seem soft with me only getting 6.5 - 7.0 inch rebound on a 10 inch drop.  Not being familiar with Fisher's, I thought I'd put the question out to the forum of what some of you Fisher users typically get on the ball bearing rebound test.  I'm just trying to determine how soft my face may have become if it did go through a fire.  My Trenton returns 9.0 - 9.5 rebound results on the 10 inch drop.  Heck, the heal of my Trenton gives me 8's which beats the Fisher's sweet spot.  Even though the face seems soft, I still think it's usable as a second anvil.  I don't think I overpaid at $50, so no buyer's remorse here knowing it has a good horn, hardie, and pritchel.  I've also read that some of the old 18th century anvils return 70 - 75% rebounds, so the face is still usable as long as I don't miss hitting the hot steel.  

I've PM'd a few on this forum about this anvil and the consensus was that it does seem soft for a Fisher but I thought I'd ask you Fisher users what rebounds you typically get on yours?

Fisher-1.thumb.jpg.9172e493489fa3f894d65b464abbabae.jpg

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.1758f9394fc4f73d7c2ac21ad0ee61fd.JPG

IMG_0127.thumb.JPG.7e057023ebde3c108df1bb88272a5be2.JPG

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.4b436fc04c45564c1b74c10ab6c221a2.JPG

IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.a0879c996de606ab661b570424944330.JPG

No answer on the typical-rebound-for-Fishers question, but even 65%-70% is generally acceptable. At $50 for 160 lbs (31¼¢/lb!!!!), you did just great. You could sell it for three times what you paid, be perfectly honest about condition and rebound, give the buyer a sweet deal, and still do well yourself.

Yeah, I'm definitely happy about the price and you are right it is acceptable rebound.  I'm hoping for some work hardening to get me solid 7.5 drops eventually.  It'd be nice to have a buddy anvil to invite people over to hammer with me when my shop gets finished.  I also like the idea of having a second anvil that can be set up with a second hardy tool that I can just go to after some work on my better anvil.