I Forge Iron

Some advice on this Forge

VictusXIII

Hi! So a few months ago I was expressing interest in blacksmithing and I really lucked out! I was given a forge that someone built about 15 years ago, and a little 110lb Anvil.

I've been doing some reading and quickly realized that the burner in this bad boy is not enough for the size of this monster.  I've bought a few things from the closest shop (about 4 hours away) and I'm looking at closing up the diameter of the forge, I just want to see if there is anything else I should be doing before I stuff this thing full of junk.

I have four fire bricks, the tub of Sairset and a 1ft by 2ft chunk of 1-inch think Kaowool.

This unit is 22.5CM across and 50CM Deep.

Also, I will be making a door for this monster as right now it just likes to pump a whole lot of heat out the front which I'm sure doesn't help with holding my internal temperatures.

IMG_20180603_195133.jpg

IMG_20180603_195139.jpg

IMG_20180603_195144.jpg

IMG_20180603_195201.jpg

IMG_20180603_195216.jpg

IMG_20180604_195507.jpg

IMG_20180603_193727.jpg

That is a horribly designed  and built forge.  I would just start over. 

1. It does not appear to have any ceramic blanket.

2. There are much better burners available now.  Check the attachments at the Forge Supplies page of my web-site and Frosty's T Burner. 

3. The burner should enter at a tangent, near the top but so that the flame will follow the con\tor of the interior.   

4.  The floor should be flat but not with a fire brick in the interior (the fire brick is a heat sink and robs you of the heat you are paying for.

Assuming that there is a regulator and hoses with what you have you should be able to build a superior forge by following the instructions found on the attachments on the Forge Supplies page of my web-site.  You can find xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne