I Forge Iron

garage sale find

Kevin Olson

Finally found a hammer at a garage sale. Unknown brand but the face is hard enough to be chipped. The file scates good.  The pien is soft enough to be deformed by use. Defiantly some differential harding here. I finally have something to experiment with from a heat treat standpoint that only cost 2 bucks. 

20180603_200014.thumb.jpg.5251ae0329ddf4741c8c140c929162d2.jpg

20180603_200108.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

All of my hammers are junk store / antique store / garage sale / Ebay  finds.  They work well and yeah you pick them up for a few bucks.  I do have 2 Harbor Frieght hammers that I bought when I started forging.  Once profiled correctly, the HF hammers actually work just fine.  I had to really reshape the handles making them much thinner.

• 2 weeks later...

just use a file or old rasp to remove the mushrooming then harden the pein and bevel the edge of the head somehow so as to not damage your work with the chip in the side, I hade one similar but soft all over and it wrecked the work when I hit it off-centre