I Forge Iron

Alan Brazzel knife

Glenn

how do you determine the number of layers, is it the number of times you fold the metal, or is it the total number of layers that are formed during the folding? For example, the first time you fold, it would have 2 layers, then 4, then 8, and continuing exponentially. But that doesn't make sense to me as that would be 11.224 folds in your knife, and I'm pretty sure you can't fold .224 times... or maybe I'm just picturing the process wrong.

Dan,
The number is actual layers of steel not the number of folds. As you fold, sometimes you may add a piece in the center or to the outsides for burn off. My point is if you weren't there during the forging process you may not be able to divide the number of layers up evenly to see where it started at. For this blade I started with 21 layers, made one fold now we are at 42. Draw it out and cut into thirds and reweld. We finally arrive at 126. Hope this helps. :lol: