I Forge Iron

propane lines

How many folks have their fuel tanks outside and run the lines inside?Are you using rubber lines, flexible, or hardlines? Guages outside or inside?
I'd like to make my setup a bit more permanent/stable and looking for ideas.
I'm running 2 forges, one for forging and a larger one for welding.
Thanks bruce/birdog

Hi Bruce,

I currently run 100 lb tanks with neoprene fuel line crimped to each fitting but like you, have been considering a larger, more permanent setup. A friend who is a plumber gave recommendations to me of putting the tank on a slab, running a metal flex hose from the tank to hard copper, the copper pipe into the building and putting drops against each wall with a valve, drip leg and quick disconnect fittings. Lines to the forges can be propane rated hose with mating disconnects. In case of a fire, the valve on the wall can be shut first followed by the main tank valve. In all cases, follow local fire code so you don't get ticketed.

I have a 100 lb. tank outside. Use 1/2" water pipe to run from the tank to inside. Just inside wall is a cut-off valve, then high pressure gauge. Have a 1/2 lb. reg. off that then another cut-off valve, then a reg. with gauge going to other forges. Use reducers and copper line to the forges.
Ken

Whatever you do, make sure it is UP TO CODE! Look up the code for your jurisdiction and follow or exceed its requirements. There is a code, you may just have to look for it. My city (Paris, Texas) operates on the 1994 IBC or some such name but the year is right. There are many newer codes and all are not alike. Use what applies to you.

James Allcorn
Bois D'Arc Forge Blacksmith Shop
Historic Downtown
Paris, TX

I have a 250-gallon tank for my forge, outdoors close behind my shop. State of NM a few years ago declared all buried propane lines have to be plastic or black iron specially wrapped, so my 50-year-old old buried steel pipes from the 500-gallon house tank and from the shop tank to the forge all had to be dug up and replaced. Not much corrosion on the old lines, but some and scary enough that it makes sense. Follow the UPC code if there is one in force in your area or even if there is not-- it's your life and property that are at stake. If you do the plumbing yourself, be SURE the gas line surfaces outside the shop before it enters, so if there is leak in the line twixt the tank and the forge it can not follow the line indoors. Be SURE the reducing valve/pressure gauge at the tank and not downstream by the forge. The plumbing line usually cannot handle full tank pressure. If you use rubber hose for a small barbecue-sized bottle, be sure it is LP-certified and bes sure to use a hefty-enough regulator. Note that the codes and the fire marshal won't allow keeping a tank indoors and usually won't allow pressures going into a building greater than 11 inches of water column, which ain't much, not enough for a forge as a rule. Mine runs around 7 to 15 psi gauge at 7,000 feet.

I've got a 330 gal tank outside with a 30# regulator on the tank. Copper line to building with a valve then to a 1/2" sch 40 black iron pipe into shop. Manifold on back wall with propane valves and disconnects at three drops. I use another regulator at point of use (forge, torch or whatever).

The last time I ran gas line I chose black iron(steel) over copper because of the cost. Black iron is an approved pipe for all gas piping, air and is very easy to work with. The use of a hose with braided metal covering is suggested around hot metal as it doesn't take much to burn through a neoprene hose. Propane is heavier then air so have all of your electrical outlet and switches high on the wall just encase of an overnight leak. Yes I know your supposed to turn it off but sometimes one forgets. Have adequate cross ventilation and if you smell gas don't flip on a light switch.:o

My in-ground swimming pool has a 250 gallon tank out behind an enclosure in the yard, about 80' away from the pool. Plumbed to the pool with soft copper line buried about 8 or so inches. All is outside but you need to be careful when DIGGING in the flower bed!!!

I wish I had that tank at my shop, but I mostly use coal.
JA

Black iron is an approved pipe for all gas piping This needs a hard check before you invest a lot of time and money. Black iron USED to be okay underground in New Mexico, but is no longer approved unless it is wrapped in some sort of plastic sheathing or, I think, boxed. We just were required to dig up our several hundred yards of underground propane lines and replace them with plastic-- or the propane company would no deliver to our 500- and 250-gallon tanks because of new code.

Lots of good info guys. Thanks
I'm just running about 12 ft distance. Feel the need to keep the 100# outside. Running 2 forges right now with another in the works. This is pretty much open air shop. 2 sides partially closed in but will most likely totally enclose it next winter.