I Forge Iron

Vice mounted on surface for chisel work

FSind

Wondering if anyone has made a vice or clamp mounted on a surface to allow one person to do chisel work. Was thinking of thick plate steel or heavy h-beam with a clamp or vice attached. This way a piece could be clamped down and worked on with a chisel. 

Welcome aboard Fsind, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

Your question isn't clear enough to give you a very good answer. Were I to take your question at face value and answer it I'd have to say. That's what vises are for.

I'm not being a wise guy but your question is too general to get a meaningful answer. A lot depends on things like how heavy you're thinking of hitting the chisel, a 4oz. hammer and chasing chisels on brass is a whole different world than cold chasing steel with a sledge hammer and require different equipment. 

In this case the: lighting, outlets, power tools, bench and vise are your equipment, hammers, chisels, files, etc. are the tools. 

If you're chasing silver jewelry you can do it in your lap. If you're going after steel with a sledge you need a  post vise, REALLY solid bench or post to mount it to and good PPE. Taking a sledge hammer to a typical cast iron bench vise will break it sooner than later.

Details please. 

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, FSind said:

Wondering if anyone has made a vice or clamp mounted on a surface to allow one person to do chisel work. Was thinking of thick plate steel or heavy h-beam with a clamp or vice attached. This way a piece could be clamped down and worked on with a chisel. 

Mm ... I assume we are talking steel right? Not wood carving.

If you intend to chisel hot steel on a flat surface and hold the piece down with a clamp, what you are talking about is a strong table, like a welding table. You can make that easy with a piece of U channel mounted on 4 legs, or even thrown onto a bench. The cavity of the channel down will give you room to use a G clamp ot even F clamp to hold your hot steel. It will not stay hot for long though. 

if you mean working sheet metal cold, the same applies I suppose and the size depends of the size of your sheet.

Now tell me if I got if right or not :)