I Forge Iron

1st post vise

Rookiesmith

I have been looking for a post vise .I gave one away 25 yrs ago thinking I would never need , passed on a few 90# that where in rough shape and sellers wouldnt budge on price. Found 65# in good shape and it was all there , screw and box looked free of major wear . Wire wheeled screw box and it says wrights , solid box patent , and possibly the coat of arms stamp that Frank Turley mentioned in post when helping people id their vises. It was worth waiting and constantly searching , dollar bill test on jaws is perfect . Tight all the way across 5.1/4 jaw . Thank you guys for providing so much info to help newbies . I need to build 2x72 sander now , I have motor need time.my son loves it (14), he got me to bring everything out in snowy driveway this weekend ,i will post pic of his project .Thanks for sharing your knowlege.Glenn

EEAA6372-F989-43CC-B8A2-32C564E2EFF7.jpeg

766C71AA-7CAE-4FCB-AE02-36D637DEFF17.jpeg

47C7618F-7B01-443F-94E7-883368DB91CB.jpeg

D53403F6-9225-4DDD-A492-D02A8EBA5AE8.jpeg

Sorry so long winded prices are high were I live but I paid 150.00 I think I did ok with it appearing to be original .

Whichever you prefer. My preference is using a decent engine pain on mine. Seems to hold up pretty well for me. 

I wire wheel them clean, degrease, then paint for best results. And if it's cooler out or humid I like to heat the metal to around 80 degrees or so before painting to ward off any moisture getting trapped. 

It holds up a bit better then other spray paints in my opinion. A bit more heat tolerant. And is made to go on metal and handle tougher conditions. 

I prefer Duplicolor over Rustoleum in engine spray paints. I have had better results with spray ability and durability. 

Oh and it sets up a lot quicker in the right temperature. 

Great , thanx for the info.on the hunt for post mounting materials , steel runs for 1 dollar a lb . Adds up fast when you get into plate steel . I love ones with shelf and hammer / tong storage . Mine needs to be portable to a degree . Thinking sbout metal base to white oak beam with shelf on top .