I Forge Iron

lecynthia best

steponmebbbboom

this marks one year since the last i heard from her. those of you who have seen my posts will recognise the name, i have since updated the dead link to her picture.

le was my best friend. we met in 1997, when i was in college for Heavy Equipment. she was studying pest control, and like me, was getting top grades. neither of us had to study hard, and we hung out together while our classmates sweated over midterms and finals. we had very different ideas about relationships, but when it came to being emotionally present, we were peas in a pod. Drinking at the Kent tavern, breaking into the locomotive at the town park, closing down the coffee shop night after night and talking til 3 in the morning on a school night over glasses of wine and we both still managed to make the dean's honour list. she landed a job the next year in Michigan, and later Iowa, and we never lost touch. we spoke just about every day, often for hours.

a lot of things happened to her during those years. some of them good, more often she was in harm's way. i heard about it all. she ended up with a divorced older man with a few children from a previous relationship, who did not understand our friendship. early last year, after an extended visit to europe to trace her armenian ancestry, she took a road trip through the united states to california to scout out a new home for her family. the last i heard from her, she was visiting death valley. at some point near los angeles she rolled her suburban and was cut to pieces. she was not belted. she was cremated, and is interred somewhere in northern michigan with her parents and younger brother. her boyfriend will not disclose any more details and refuses to speak to me.

neither of us had religious beliefs, but i cannot help but thinking that my actions somehow matter to her. her biggest fear in life was that if she died, no one would remember her. she had no surviving family members. i made a promise to her, that if she died, i would always honour her memory.

le, i think about you every day. the grief has faded, but our friendship serves as a constant reminder of what i am capable of, as a friend and inspiration. you, in turn have inspired me to be a better person than i am. i am so proud, to be your friend. i am prouder still, to carry the responsibility of ensuring that your deepest fear never comes to pass. i will always remember you.

always.