I Forge Iron

Howdy from Texas

Jason Fry

Jason Fry here.  I've made knives about ten years, mostly stock removal, but I've forged 40-50 at this point.  I've got a 152# hay budden, a treadle hammer, and a few other tools.  I've made a few sets of tongs in addition to the knives, but that's about it.  I'm involved with the Texas Knifemakers' Guild, the national Knifemakers' Guild, and the American Bladesmith Society.  Hope to learn from you guys more about the smithing side of things. 

Welcome to the forum, Jason. Always happy to have a fellow bladesmith come along (dont listen to the old guys, its not an obsession, we can quit whenever we want! Lol) 

Do you have your own forge? If not, there are many, many threads here about how to make one, whether it be gas, coal, or charcoal. Matter of fact, theres a lot of good info here on basically any subject that is blacksmith related.

A tip ill give you early: dont bother with the search function on this site, its finicky. Just type whatever it is your searching into google, bing, etc. but add "iforgeiron" to it. Much more reliable. 

Happy forging!

Welcome from a fellow Texan! if ever in my neck of the woods give me a holler!

Littleblacksmith 

11 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Welcome from a fellow Texan! if ever in my neck of the woods give me a holler!

Littleblacksmith 

I grew up in Austin, was trained to avoid College Station ;)

My cousin's a police detective in Bryan though.

haha! I used to live in the Hutto/Roundrock area (sorta near Austin) and so when we moved to College Station, it was kinda weird. you just let me know if you are ever near here and want to stop by, we also sell blacksmithing coke if you are in need of some.

Littleblacksmith