I Forge Iron

Horses

pete46

I found out though that H O R S E actually spells shop on my place. My bride had been wanting a horse since before we married and I finally gave in this past week. The rule before then was if you can't eat it, we don't raise it. My bride questioned the dogs and cats, I told her I was ok with Chinese or Korean food. However, we now have a 12yr old Tenn Walker... the key here is I now get the barn that has been used for storage to put my shop in. Too cold to start right now but step one will be to clean that bugger out and get the renovating done while she plays with the horse.

I kind of think of the horse as rent on my shop... truth be known, I like the big beast too, but still don't have interest in eating him! YET!!! oh and since we have found a farrier that will shoe all 4 hooves for $65... I like my knees far too much to deprive a fella of his living!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well i like ollies ideathere good to have round been shoeing for about 35 years and that started blacksmithing made all our shoes orderd steel instead of made shoes oh and yes i have 5 all working ranch horses 7 head of cow dogs and about 150 cows more or less i am either under one oron one and then we have the welding shop

• 1 month later...

Too many horses on the farm. The old man will not get rid of them saying we use them, which we do, but do we really need 47 stock horses, 5 thoroughbreds and 15 Clydesdale?? We only really use about 8 of the stock horses and the bloodhorses. Most of the draught horses are not even handled. and two are used in a trolly cart.

He just likes to watch them in the paddocks and that is fine by me :)

Edited by steve sells
typo

I used to shoe about a thousand head a year. Now I call myself a one client a day shoer and if that client only has one horse, that's OK. Still have 15 of our own, but a couple are retirees and five are still too young, so only eight for the two of us to use. Actually, I do love shoeing horses, but last week after trimming a 10 horse barn, I could only fantasize about how I could shoe that many twenty years ago. Age does take it's toll but as the saying goes "It beats the alternative".