I Forge Iron

New Mouse Hole

S.Wright

Hello everyone, this morning I was able to pick up a mouse hole forge anvil. I believe I got it for a fair price anywhere, even more so in my area as most Vulcans in this area from 70+ lbs come in around 350 and up. I paid 400 for this, it weighs in at exactly 168.9 lbs, 1" hardy, 9/16" pircthel which appears drilled as opposed to punch as the underside of the heel is smooth. Serial number is still clear as day 14435. I have about 85 to 90% rebound. I only gave it a quick wire wheel to read the print and serial which happen to all standout great. I'm extremely happy with this purchase and was wondering what everyone thought and if anyone with better knowledge then me may be able to better date it. Also I did not find any deadspots it has a beautiful ring throughout!

20170902_103910.jpg

20170902_103917.jpg

20170902_103928.jpg

If the pritchel was drilled at some point it could be pre-1835. I have had a couple marked M&H etc. just as yours is with no pritchel at all. Both had a well formed heel with no damage and matched the marked hundred weight to within a pound or two.  From what I could find online Moushole started putting pritchels in 1835. Someone here will know more about the evolution of the marks over the companys history. How is the rebound? looks like a good score @ $2.00 lb!

The rebound is excellent from end to end. I have been working with the 4x4 stake from oldworldanvils and I'm not used to such a excellent rebound and I had a miss strike and almost knocked my own head off. I'm registering it around 90% with a bearing and hammer drop.

Nice! I really want one of those 4x4s from old world, I just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. The Mousehole will be a lot nicer for you to work on for sure! I come across them from time to time and pick them up when I get a good deal to pass along to members of my blacksmithing group. I paid $200USD for a 130lb M&H Moushole with good rebound about a year ago. When you need a good anvil they are hard to find (not really, we think they are because we're used to being able to get what we want instantly :-)  Once you have a good one to use anvil magic will kick in and they will start popping up all around you for good prices. Congrats and happy forging!