I Forge Iron

What did you do?

BubbaNash

I just read your post on that! from all the extra work that appears to go into even a store bought forge i think im going to take up needlepoint. :wacko:

ok... A Devil Forge comes semi-complete. Needs its wool sealed/rigidized and at least a couple hard fire bricks to close up the openings... Whereas a Diamondback is generally complete and fire ready because it uses ceramic board, although you are recommending a finish coat of... im guessing refractory of maybe 2800-3000F?

Im going to hit up the NWBA Hammer-in in Longview this sunday on my way out of town and will be harassing... asking people a lot of the same questions. Im a visual person so without seeing it will take me longer to understand. But it sounds like its  worth the few extra $$'s to buy 'Merican and get the DB single as opposed to buying the DF from Lithuania 

Yes bubba i think db is far better than df.  If money is less issue than effort chile forge are pretty much plug and play and very nice but pricey.  Most forges that are <500 require bricks to close up the end (keep in mind require is a strong word they will work without them just not as well or as hot).  There are homebuilders that will get you a more complete forge for less however quality is always a question there are a few up on etsy atm that are ready to go.  Personaly i always recomend the build it yourself route so you learn what goes in to it and have an easier time fixing it if something goes wrong.

16 hours ago, BubbaNash said:

Ive seen chile mentioned a number of times. One day if im worthy :P

It's not so much a matter of being Worthy. You can build as good or better Forge for the fraction of the price. It's a matter of wanting to spend money instead of time.

2 hours ago, BubbaNash said:

I would love to have the time to sit and understand the details of building a forge and then putting it to practice. I just dont absorb through reading without pictures. lots of pictures. 

Tell you what bubba i need to put together a small paint can foundry for a friend this weekend.  Ill take lots of photos the principle is exactly the same.  Shell/add ceramic blanket/rigidize/hardcoat 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 5:58 PM, BubbaNash said:

I would love to have the time to sit and understand the details of building a forge and then putting it to practice. I just dont absorb through reading without pictures. lots of pictures. 

Have a look at this thread start to finish with pictures.