I Forge Iron

Respirator with beards

Being very bearded I wear a powered positive pressure hood. Even though I can get a face fit with a rubber mask the UK HSE won't allow facial hair.  Someone mentioned lying on the test, to prevent this there are 2 types of test, qualitative where it relies on the users saying they can detect the taste of the test liquid and quantitative that has a probe in the mask that counts the particles. Quantitative testing is interesting. I pass qualitative no problem but when I did a quantitive test to see the actual measured results the test showed x ppm coming through, I can't remember the exact number but it was high enough to be harmful. 

My mask is a bit old fashioned, you can now get them with everything built in to the hat rather then the belt with the battery and fan. 

20180712_092239.jpg

20180712_092507.jpg

20180712_092114.jpg

• 3 years later...

DO NOT use Vaseline to create a face to facepiece seal.   It might do a minimal basic job against HUGE CS particulates but for smaller things such as Asbestos or other particulate or fibrous materials it just wont work. All you'll do is make yourself sick and vey unhealthy later on. I'm serious guys, if you need to stay healthy shave the xxxxxxxx thing. Same reason warriors who face the real possibility of nerve or blood agents shave to wear a gas mask. Just don't do it. 

On 8/26/2017 at 11:24 AM, Melw45 said:

I have one of these masks on order.

I will be looking in to converting it to a blower based fresh air system If that is not feasible I may have to shave.

Please tell me that you're not going to modify a respirator...... 

On 9/29/2018 at 11:48 AM, Dax Hewitt said:

Being very bearded I wear a powered positive pressure hood.

That setup is perfect

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.