I Forge Iron

nickel-silver

Despite the name, this is not a silver alloy at all, but mainly nickel and copper. It has a much higher melting point than genuine silver alloys.

On the other hand, nickel silver is stronger than brass filler, often much stronger, and some nickel silvers will work well on some alloys of stainless steel. Nickel silver does make strong, reliable joints. It has a very wide working range, from 1200 F to 1750 F, and a tensile strength of up to 85,000 psi.

Uses include Knife parts, decorative items, jewelry, musical instrument valves and components, optical instrument components, fittings for food and dairy equipment, screws, rivets, and slide fasteners.
In the referance manual that I have, Soldering of this alloy is rated as "excellent", brazing is rated as "excellent", oxyacetylene welding is rated as "good", gas shielded arc welding is rated as "fair", coated metal arc welding is "not recommended", spot welding is rated as "good", seam welding is rated as "fair", and butt welding is rated as "good".

Don't forget Monel as a possible metal too; but like the other Ni/Cu options very pricy. I've seen it used in hand forged gates and such.

I'd point him at stainless; but be aware that working it is harder as well; both on you and the tools so include that in the cost too!

DON'T quote a price until you have worked a trial piece to figure out time and consumables costs!
Thomas