I Forge Iron

Greetings from Kansas City

I'm just getting started.

Like many, I've been interested in smithing my whole life (I'm 41) but never had the opportunity to give it a try until just recently. I found a bladesmith who's willing to teach me in exchange for labor and charcoal. My interests lie more along the lines of more traditional blacksmithing; making tools, making tools to make tools, etc. but I'm grateful for the opportunity to learn and forge. I forge once a week on one of my days off; been at it for about 6 months now.

I live and work in one of the Kansas City suburbs (on the MO side), though I'm originally from Michigan. I'm starting to get interested in BAM (Blacksmith Association of Missouri), and I'd love to get some feedback from people with experience - members or otherwise.

Thanks, all!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 9:59 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Traditional as smithing in the 19th century or in the 9th century?

Well, either one, really. The fellow I'm learning from is an amateur historian and was focusing more on the Iron Age side of things with a concentration on Viking and Celtic blades. He'd very much like to make his living as a smith, but is finding that "historically accurate" pieces aren't selling. He has the tools he needs to make blades and isn't particularly interested in making more tools for their own sake.

I like hand tools, and while I appreciate the effort that goes into making and using a particular tool, I don't have a particular attachment to any time period.