I Forge Iron

Making a 10mm box spanner.

Grandpapajim

Box spanners were originally tube with the ends forged down to the size required, and a couple of holes drilledthrough at 90 degrees to each other for a tommy bar to fit through to enable the nut to be undone or tightened

One way of doing this is to flare the end of an appropriate sized tube then forge it down around a nut/ hex bar of the same size you require it to fit

I didnt realise that it all starts with a tube, knowing that makes it very easy. What I want is a 10mm box spanner attatched to a screwdriver type of handle. I dont know what you call them but they are abundance up to 8mm but I cant find 10mm. I will keep you posted it is going to be a bit of a learning curve, looking forward to it.

What I want is a 10mm box spanner attatched to a screwdriver type of handle. I dont know what you call them but they are abundance up to 8mm but I cant find 10mm.

as the diameter increases on a bolt the leverage required to tighten and loosen increases as well, setting an upper limit to axial leverage as seen in a screwdriver type handle, while it maybe very handy for starting the thread, Id retain the typical through hole in a box spanner so you can add a lever when needed.