I Forge Iron

New #20 Build

Imagine

#20 propane bottle split Wayne Coe style with two 3/4" Frosty T burners. Seems to do pretty well but still need to cut the mig tips back some more I think, gonna need a stock rest and need to weld on fire brick shelves to close up the openings a bit. Any other suggestions or criticisms welcome. 

forge1.jpg

forge2.jpg

forge3.jpg

forge4.jpg

What kind of refractory are you using for the flame face? The flames look pretty good from here and some refractories are bonded with calcium and make orange dragon's breath, not related to the burner tune.

Frosty The Lucky.

There it is, Cast-O-Lite refractories are calcium bonded and make a lot of orange flame. See below pic of my ribbon burner forge with Cast-O-Lite 30 flame face. The burners are burning more neutral than mine usually do.

Frosty The Lucky.

NARBinforge02.jpg..jpg.f72d53a1f7d58265b5704603b0685d97.jpg

My pleasure, it wasn't till some of us started using high alumina refractories we started seeing a lot of orange in the exhaust. Taking a look at the MSDS and company ingredient pages noted they're calcium bonded. As part of DOT Highways we were on the emergency response list so we got training in some cool stuff. Part of the demonstration of the oxygen lance was burning concrete and it burns with a vivid orange flame. Sort of like our forge liners.

It's been mentioned but not often or till recently. Heck I'm lucky I remembered.

Frosty The Lucky.