I Forge Iron

My Introduction

Fraz

Hi Guys, Thought I would introduce myself...

My Name is Fraser, Im 42 and I live in Rosyth, Fife. Scotland. UK. Im currently pulling together my first set of equipment after a long time thinking about it. I was at a local National Trust event where there was a give it a try Blacksmithing. Like I said, I'd been wanting to give it a try for ages and I just loved it. Only made a scroll end bird feeder hook but I left wanting to try more....

Was very tempted to just jump into it but read the forums and web and avoided getting an anvil shaped door stop of Amazon...:) I wrote to Railtrack asking about used rail stock and was pointed towards www.railwayrecycling.co.uk who sell sleepers, aggregate and rail stock. I've asked for a quote for half a meter (18") bull head rail so I guess we'll find out how much that costs....

As for experience, Im current self teaching myself MIG welding as there's no local classes. I've made a few Athamae's ( Non heat treated double edged ritual knives) for Wiccan friends. Basically just cut the shapes out with and angle grinder, shaped with dremel and bench grinder. Hand finished with 15k wet and dry and a buffing wheel.

Ultimate goal is to make a few damascus knives but that's still a ways off...:) Failing that making some local contacts would also be great. I also do book binding, woodcarving, I have regular fights with my 3d printer and I also have a a laser engraver/cutter *almost* finished.. :) I also make mead and brew beer with a few friends..:)

Any questions don't hesitate to get in touch..

Welcome aboard Fraz, glad to have you. I believe you have a good approach to picking up the craft. A little knowledge and a lot of practice is how it works. Don't get locked into any one thing to use as an anvil though rail makes a fine anvil. If you mount it on end it becomes very efficient moving steel and you can shape the web and flanges into a number of useful tools. 

I took a look at the site you linked hoping to find some other railroad salvage. The Pandrol E clips are good medium carbon steel and make excellent punches, chisels, pry bars, etc. The older type rail clips are similar grade steel but being rectangular in cross section and a different shape are more convenient for many uses.

I was HOPING to see rail car salvage but maybe another company? If you can find one, a rail car axle on end is about as good as an anvil gets. Modern ones are hardened and tempered 4140 a medium carbon Chrome moly steel and it's not so hard you can't cut it in a cut off band saw. Once cut to length the remainder is a treasure trove of high quality steel for more tools than a boy could want. (well, the wife will let you keep ;))

Making stock removal knives is a good place to start, you'll have to learn grinding and finishing regardless and if you just learn blacksmithing to a proficient level the two learning curves won't gang up on you. 

Frosty The Lucky.