I Forge Iron

Hi out there

Michael Marqardt

I'd like to introduce myself. The name is Michael Marquardt from Schlesig-Holstein in Northern Germany. I'm a retired sea captain and naval engineer.

Fifty years ago I was taught some basic forging during my time as an apprentice engineer. Last year I got interested in forging steel again and built myself a little workshop with tools bought from  closed down blacksmith' shops and eBay. I'm just starting out creating basics and making my own tools.

By the way I'm hunting for a swage block of around 60lb.

I look forward to participate in the wealth of information found in this forum. Thanks for letting me into.

Welcome, you have come to the right place for information and contact with other blacksmiths.  If you haven't take a lot of "spare" time and read the posts here top quality stuff.  Might consider getting in the chat room sometime people from all over the world in there at times.

Make contact with other local Blacksmiths though here would also be instructive.  Wish you well with the swage block as they are scare here in the states or highly $$.  

Welcome, Michael! As notownkid says, take plenty of time to read through as much of the forum as you can. Pinned posts at the top of each section contain material that has been considered especially important and should probably be read first. Remember: the best question is an informed question!!

Don't forget to post pictures of your equipment and projects as you go along. All of us are learning from each other, whether we've been doing this for thirty years or thirty minutes.