I Forge Iron

Boar Sword???

Phil Patrick

This post goes out to all you sword making folks. Ever hear of a boar sword? It is really too long of a story to explain why I am asking. I have seen boar hunting spears, and I have seen footage of people hunting them with dogs and knives, ( a little too up close and personal for my taste!), but this is new to me.
As usual, any info is much appreciated!

thanks.

I have a book, Swords and Daggers by Fredrick Wilkinson that has a couple of pictures but they look like a simple design with a square crossbar hole about a foot or so down the blade. They don't look to have edge bevels after the crossbar hole. Though one them has an area that is flamebladed or wavy but i think that that is just for show.

• 2 months later...

Thomas,

BTW.... How are you called in the Society? I've retired....

Don Nikolai Nabokov

MooseRidge is so much "quieter"..... ;)

What he said, I'll try to look though my books for some examples; but may be a while as I have to unpack the truck from my week of camping with my forge at Estrella.

Master Wilelm the Smith, College of St Golias, Kingdom of the Outlands. (currently)

I celebrate my 30th year in the SCA this fall mainly through changing kingdoms a number of times due to job changes and a stubborn ignoring of politics, even so they finally caught up to me and gave me the shrubbery! (OL).

• 1 year later...

I went bore, or wild hog hunting with a friend of mine a few years back. He didn't use a sword, spear or knife. He used a pack of hound dogs and a catch dog, which was a bull dog.
The pack of hounds scared up a 400 or so pound hog. They sort of surrounded it. Then we ran up and let the catch dog go. The catch dog grabbed the hog by the ear and sunk to the hogs side so the hog couldn't bite it. Then my friend ran in and grabbed the hogs back legs and threw it on it's back on the ground. Once it was on it's back we tied it up and dragged it out alive. Ofcourse it was a little more involved than that, but that was pretty much it. No spear, sword, or knife? He did have a 22 rifle, but that was in case of snakes.

I went bore, or wild hog hunting with a friend of mine a few years back. He didn't use a sword, spear or knife. He used a pack of hound dogs and a catch dog, which was a bull dog.
The pack of hounds scared up a 400 or so pound hog. They sort of surrounded it. Then we ran up and let the catch dog go. The catch dog grabbed the hog by the ear and sunk to the hogs side so the hog couldn't bite it. Then my friend ran in and grabbed the hogs back legs and threw it on it's back on the ground. Once it was on it's back we tied it up and dragged it out alive. Ofcourse it was a little more involved than that, but that was pretty much it. No spear, sword, or knife? He did have a 22 rifle, but that was in case of snakes.

Now thats hardcore!!!!!!

I thought sticking them with a knive was awesome. Holy smokes!!

The cross bar on the spear is to keep the hog from riding up the spear. Wild boar have tremendous vitality and are well known for getting really angry when they figure out the source of their pain.

Gene

No kidding...my son hunts them regularly off horseback with dogs and came across a boar over this past weekend that almost took out two of his hounds - they all had cut collars but the hog still came very close to disemboweling one dog. The boar took 5 shots in the head and chest with a .45 LC revolver from about 15 yds but ran about 300 yds before dying. If hit right, you can kill them with a .22 but they are almost unstoppable once their adrenaline is up.

• 3 years later...

I guess this is a bit old, but if you're still interested, there's one in Leeds Royal Armories - long sword (claymore-length-ish) with a wider blade for about the last quarter - about twice the width of the rest of the blade - clearly for hacking rather than thrusting.

- I can't find a link, but maybe the page will load later/they would answer a request for info? Also sorry for lack of technical info - I just remeber seeing  it once!