I Forge Iron

30 ton press

RiverRat77

I'm curious I've got access to a cheap 30 ton press.. I was hoping it was hydraulic but looks like it is air powered. Has anyone have any input. Would this make a good option. Its made by American Forge & Foundry. Part#852SD  Other than needing a good air compressor would this be a good alternative to hydaulic press's. Thanks much! Cameron

Yes, no or maybe depending on information you didn't provide---like what do you need it to do and how much. (once a month is different than 100 times a day x 6 days a week) Do you have the "good air compressor" already or power to run one, how fast does the ram advance,  etc and so on; *DETAILS*!  

• 1 month later...

The cycle times are very slow..   If you wanted to modify it so there was another power pack to increase cycle times it would work..  I have an air powered 50ton unit and while it is great for pressing stuff as a forging device it's just way to slow..  Now If I had my power pack hooked up it would be fast enough..