I Forge Iron

Completed my 2X72..Grinder..Question??

BOB T

Finished my grinder ,Plans from Wayne Coe ..  Have a 1 HP motor (2450 rpm) with a 4" drive wheel  I know it`s not a sealed motor but was free . Will build a small shield to protect its somewhat from grinding dust, and we'll see how it performs?  When it dies will get a sealed type motor, probably 1 1/2 hp..Just have mounted on plywood base for now, I will eventually make a metal base for the grinder.  Planning to use it possibly for a few knives to grind also use it to grind on tomahawks and small axes, not using it exclusively for knives only.  I like the way the wheel arm can be set in different positions.

Question??  If I did my math correctly the belt speed should be somewhere around 3600 SFPM?  I 'am  thinking I should have more belts speed?  I've used belts sanders/ grinders in other shops and they seem like they're run faster.  One thing I noticed I get very few sparks or no sparks  when grinding using 60 grit.   I would be interesting to know what the other people who have DIY belt grinder/sanders have for belt speeds or what would be the low and high for belt speed??  I did search through the form for information on belt speeds and saw some list, curious what people are actually running and are have good performance with their grinders.  thanks

P1040466.JPG

P1040470.JPG

P1040471.JPG

Looks good Bob.  Most people using single speed motors have 3600 rpm motors.  If you had asked me I would have suggested that you use that motor initially and get a feel for the grinder.  When that one dies you will probably want to get a VFD and new motor.

Let me know when I can help you again.

Wayne

phabib..  If you search on the web for Wayne Coe Blacksmith ..  That's where I got my plans from...  Also on his web site has a short video explaining the belt sander/grinder. I have a 2" and 6" rubber wheel plus the tracking & drive wheel both of them are of aluminum. the platten  was made from angle iron