I Forge Iron

forge design advise?

Johannes

Hi guys,
I'm building my new forge,
I'v made a design with the resources that I have,
could you guys give me your opinions, or advises?
before I start building?

how it is made;
2 build up concrete wals carrying a cast fire-concrete table, with a steel tray (an old mold tray from work) cast into it, and an opening for placing a water container, this concrete is build up with a layer of fire brick, te elevate it to the same hight as the frame, in the frame is a cut, with a cast iron pot in it (was a street drain), inder the pot is a pipe from cast iron, and an tuyre with a self made (hope this is gonna work) valve, with a pusch/pul mechanism.
around it a layer of old hand brick, for decoration. the hood is gonna be made of welded up frame with rivited galvanised sheeting (i'v also got an old fridge ventilator to help the draft if needed), the tyere is running out of the forge so i can attach my old vucum cleaner untill i find a cage blower.
do you think the fire hart would be sufficiant?
how would you add a klinker breaker to this?
what should be the distance between the table and the hood?

thanks for the advise guys!
ok tomorrow I'm gonna post some pictures of the parts, and of my new (350kg!!!) anvil.

5201.attach

5202.attach

5203.attach

5204.attach

nice cad work ;)

Id plan on a temporary mounting of the hood that is somewhat adjustable (height) till you sort both the best draft vs work height tradeoff.

Right now it looks good for draft, but Id bet youd be bending over alot to see whats going on under it. :P

Ian 0026 Willem Jonkers III Tools - I Forge Iron - Blacksmithing and Metalworking
of course the chimney has alot to do with how well a hood works

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/let-s-talk-forge-chimneys-4926/
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f11/chimmney-set-ups-4828/
Forge Chimneys

Large Overhead Style Hoods.

At right is a drawing representing a large conventional style hood over a forge. Notice that there is only a slight difference in height of these two examples, above the forges. This minor difference in height is all it takes to influence the success of each hood.

A large hood needs a large chimney diameter of roughly 10 - 12 inches to allow smoke and ambient air to flow upward. The distance or height of the hood above the forge, directly effects how much smoke flows up the chimney or into the shop. Too great a height above the forge allows too much ambient air to enter the hood and most of the smoke goes into the shop. If the hood is too low then the hood draws well but, it is difficult to gain access to the fire when working.

(excerpt from last link, there is more)

Im going to be doing a large hood as well (both for a forge and for sand casting), Im planning on having adjustable skirts so I can adjust the height on any given side as I need to or as draft conditions - work needs change, however Im not relying on natural draft.

I'll post a basic sketch of my force draft plans after work, got a hundred feet of railing needs to be in Aspen by tommorow ;)