I Forge Iron

Hammer Handle

I own three hammers made by Irnsrgn and dearly love them all. I take very good care of them. Yesterday, I found my 3# diagonal pean had a badly cracked handle. The crack started right where the wood meets the head. Now this is not unusual except I have not used it in many months! Yes, it is possible I cracked it the last time I used it and did not notice it. However, the crack ran down the handle a good 3" and all the way through the handle. Had I used it, it would have broken off. Is it possible for the crack to grow without using it? I replaced it with no problem but would like to keep this from happening again. :oops:

Quenchcrack:

Logs split as they dry out so I don't think it would be unusual for a hammer handle to split due to the change in moisture content either. Could have been a small flaw that started it and as the wood dried out the crack became bigger.

Woody

I have heard of wood splitting when it dries out of course, but this was a prime hickory handle. I would think it had been properly kiln dried and sealed. Anyway, it has been a lot cooler and drier here in Left Tennessee lately and that could be it. For those of you who are waiting for one of JR's hammers, it is worth the wait. They are no-nonsense working hammers made by someone who knows what a hammer is supposed to do. You're gonna like 'em! :D