I Forge Iron

Leg vise brand--is it a Peter Wright?

dguzman1964

Hello folks,

Any idea what maker this leg vise might be? I think it might be a Peter Wright, as it looks similar to a bigger one (250#!) that a friend has (haven't seen it live, only in photos). He's sending me a spring, so that's covered.

Is there any marking I should be looking for?

First please remember that there were hundreds of vise manufacturers and many did not mark their output.  Marks can be on the screwbox, on the legs and on the backs of the jaws.  Some vises have a weight stamp as they were often sold "by the pound"  (I have 2 with weight stamps, one was a 40 and the other a 100).

Also, LOCATION can make a big difference in what brands may be common.  Way over 100 countries participate on this web site (World Wide Web == www part of the url...)

Editing your profile to list a *general* location can help keep the "where are you at?" posts to a minimum.

I have a Peter Wright vise that is stamped on the visible box in small serifed letters: P. WRIGHT

PATENT

SOLID BOX

I think that on most PW vises, these markings have been obliterated because of rust and wear. I have two other vises that I think are PW's, because I've carefully compared them to the above mentioned one. On one of them, I removed the box from the screw and a letter 'W' was stamped on it, but not visible when the vise was assembled for use. I suspect it was an inspector's mark, but who knows for sure?

To my eye, your pictured vise has the overall conformation of a Peter Wright vise, but as Thomas points out, no guarantee.

• 2 years later...
On 9/28/2016 at 11:24 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Editing your profile to list a *general* location can help keep the "where are you at?" posts to a minimum.

Welcome Daniel, the above quote says what I always recommend, along with recommending this thread. READ THIS FIRST