I Forge Iron

Fire clay

CVaughan

First time posting. I've been reading a lot and have learned a lot. I'm new to blacksmithing, but have been a welder for most of my life. My question is; will fire clay work in a propane forge. I was going to use kaowool then line it with the fire clay and then line that with mizzou. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sincerly, lost in Oklahoma. Lol

Read the attachments at the Forge Supplies Page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.  You will be far better off to use the methods that have been proven to work rather than to start off trying to build something without the experience needed.  After you have built a few forges maybe then you can start experimenting.

Let me know if I can help you.  You can e-mail me.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne. I've actually visited you site a few times. Really enjoyed it. I wanted to do a ribbon burner, but felt it was cheaper for me to go with the ventri for now. I might have messed up because I thought somewhere along the way in my research that the clay would work. I probably got my wires crossed between gas and coal. Anyhow I started with the clay and it didn't seem right and that's why I was asking. So I'm thinking my first rookie mistake is going to cost me a little. Probably going to have to get more wool now. So don't be surprised when I email you this week. 

Welcome aboard C, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you  might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

I'm not surprised you found references to using fire clay for a gas forge refractory liner, folk have been making their own liners for better than a century. It's not not practical,  efficient nor durable compared to the current choices. The references and forge plans available on Wayne's site are sound, you can follow them and build yourself an excellent forge. Check out the burner designs there as well.

Wayne, I'll be posting some pics of the NARBs in action at the club meeting yesterday. The burners worked a treat even if my rush job getting the forge finished in time left it a little wanting. I am happy to say it isn't a fluke the things work very well. Please feel free to put the design up on your site if you'd like. I'll detail the differences from John's ribbon burner plans if you'd like.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty. I have read about the forges on Wayne's site. Wish I'd have followed it instead of thinking I knew what I was doing. But live and learn I guess. Lol. I actually read the directions on his venturi forge again just a few minutes ago. I made two venturi burners just like Jarome Rush's. I don't know if he is on this site or not,but they were really simple. Now I just have to get the forge actually going. 

Thank you again.

Ah we all do that, if you've read the "Denning Kruger effect" articles you'd know why. I could tell you about some of my early forges, I still have fire clay sealed up in a 15gl. barrel from the day. I still use it occasionally to line things like barrel stoves and such.

I don't see burners by Jarome Rush, have a link? I'd like a look.

Frosty The Lucky.