I Forge Iron

Propane Tank / Roofing Torch Problem

No offense, but I may not have posted this in the right area ... or correctly, but when I tried to delete the post, it didn't quite work.

Anyway about six months ago I purchased a Goss KP-414M-H Propane Torch Kit on Amazon.  Everything was fine on my first tank of propane, (it was half full when I started using it).  Then I bought a new tank, filled it, connected my hose, turned everything on, and lit the flame.  Everything worked fine for about five seconds, then the pressure along with the flame disappeared almost like I'd run out of fuel.  Each time I try I get the same result.  I've tried this with and without the supplied regulator and always get the same result.  I'll add that the hose and torch sat for about two months, with the regulator separated, sitting on a nearby workbench.  I have also tried this on another full tank with the same results. 

Any ideas?

Try opening the valve slowly, propane tanks come with a valve system that's supposed to make them safer in the case of a broken fitting cut hose, etc and stops the flow if it suddenly exceeds a certain rate. Your other tank may be an old type.

Anyway, open the valve to the flame slowly over a couple seconds and see how it works. If that doesn't do it there may be crud blocking the orifice or valve in the handle. It may be something in the propane tank or some shaving or crud left over from manufacturing the torch. It happens even with products from high end companies.

Oh, don't test things like torches on the roof just in case. Let them prove themselves before you put them in a potentially dangerous situation.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for your help guys.  Problem solved.  I found that when I switched the POL fitting or tailpiece, whatever it's called, that goes into the tank,                         everything was back to normal.

But Question 2 ...Is the regulator for safety as well as pressure control, or is there some kind of built in safety shut off?  I'd like to have my bases covered when it comes to pressurized fuel and fire.  I got my tank from Tractor Supply a couple of weeks ago, so I'm figuring it has all the latest safety features.

Once again, thanks.                                                                                                                                   

Well, GEE, who would've thought assembling the torch correctly would effect it?  <SHEESH MAN> :P Been there done that.

The safety valve is build into the tank valve, not the tools. Well generally not in the tools, some do have safety systems built in but not most like weed burners and such. Sounds like yours is set up with a one way valve to prevent it burning back, (back firing) into the hose. That's more a PC move  on the maker's part a CYA move. A flame can NOT burn back up a propane hose, there is no oxy to support a fire. PC idgits and lawyers looking to pay for ANOTHER toy suing a big compayn.

Just turn the torch on slowly when connected to your new tank and hook it up correctly. If I hadn't done that sort of thing so many times myself I would have stopped laughing before now. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.