I Forge Iron

replacing a hex head on a wrench

Kerry D

I'm looking at replacing a couple of hex ends on a pair of 1 1/8" wrenches, and am looking at two options, first is using a couple of worn out bearings made for a 1 1/8"  hex shaft (likely from a JD, they love hex shafts).  Second would be to make a hex or 12 point end.  Honestly, I'm leaning toward welding on the bearing centres, heating it up to red and then welding and letting it cool in sand.  I know that there are a lot of people on here with substantially more welding experience than me, does that sound like a decent plan, or am I better off making an end and saving myself the headache.

Hard to say just how much distortion you will get, and how it will react to the strain. Tho it's often better to break a wrench or socket than to round of a bolt or nut head. Traditinaly one would make a hexigonal drift, and use somthing like 4060. Spring temper should work. If the socket end works against the flats as opposed to the corners it's better, tho 12 point socket ends usualy are faster and easer to work with (but may be a PITA to forge). 

To the point about rounding a hex head fastner I agree, That's why I was looking at just a hex.  I've also got a lot of 1 1/8 wrenches and sockets if it's in a bad enough spot that I figure I need the extra versatility.  This is more about figuring out how I can repair something and what would be the simplest and quickest way.  I'm wondering about maybe doing one with welding and one by forging.  But finding a chunk of suitable bar stock that would be large enough for 1 1/8 might be a challenge locally.  May have to let this project sit for a bit.

Edit:  That should read:  "But finding a chunk of suitable bar stock that would be large enough for an 1 1/8 drift (or a drift that goes to that size) might be a challenge locally.

Edited by Kerry D
Clarify my statement

5 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

I wouldn't salvage the shafting from my tractor... 

Actually if I needed the shafting bad enough I might salvage it from your tractor. :rolleyes:

Seeing as this is an exercise in making a hex wrench rather than actually needing one. The hex shafting gets dinged by being run into obstacles driven by an engine at speed. You on the other hand are going to be pulling it by hand. Even with a cheater pipe you're unlikely to screw up the drive shaft hex stock.

Heat treat like a medium carbon steel and run the temper colors to blue should be in the ball park.

Frosty The Lucky.

Maybe I got confused, but the hex shafting referenced was to be used as a drift for making the hex end of a combination wrench.  Just as an FYI, there was no salvage about using the hex shafting.  The combine header is still being used, the bearing was running rough so it got changed.  The shafting is in good shape but, from experience, I know it dings easily.  That's probably why they use such heavy shafting when other manufacturers use lighter pipe.

Edit again:  Maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at Charles.  I had thought you were talking about using the shafting that the bearing came from to use as a drift.

LOL, sorry, the thought of pinching one hadn't even occurred to me.  Mostly because I've had only moderate luck using sucker rod as a drift, and sucker rod is a lot tougher than that hex shaft.  Sounded like an exercise in futility.  The thought of using the the bearing centre as final shaping for the drift did occur to me though.

I was taking a LITTLE poke at Charles but he left me such a sweet straight line nobody can blame me. Hex shafts socket into a female hex, this allows room to move when the machinery is doing it's job. Like the male and female spline on drive shafts. I was referring to making a wrench from the female hex. I misunderstood I thought you had some for salvage.

Drifting hex is easy enough. Grind or sand the corners of the hex you're using for a drift into a gentle radius so as not to cut cold shuts into the wrench. Just round them off a LITTLE BIT.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 10/3/2016 at 8:27 AM, Charles R. Stevens said:

Jerry is easily entertained...

Makes life easier and more economical. Have you seen what it costs to take the Wife to a movie and spring for a soda and popcorn?

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

That is called "spousal maintenance", Jerry. I would rather it be volentairy than court ordered.  

Understood but dinner at a nice restaurant is cheaper than a movie for two and we can rent or buy the movie on DVD in a couple months.

Frosty The Lucky.