I Forge Iron

Gas Forge and Burner- what is wrong?

Moose65

22 hours ago, TFT said:

Hey frosty no big deal i am kinda just some guy but i figured id take the weight off you non-rookies and i shouldnt have im sorry but im terrible with words and description terms on the flame could you show us a pic of your t burner, in action, cause i made two(different tee sizes and they have a mount that holds on to a sliding brass tube) and it didnt seem much different from my others, ill have to look more closely i suppose and i know its a bad thing to modify your design but i figured i could tune it quicker

Sorry, I don't have a pic that directly compares to yours. I don't run a burner outside a forge so aren't going to look the same regardless of how they're tuned. This is my silly too large shop forge running all four burners, probably in a test. I've only ever fired all four at once when 3-4 guys were working in it at once. It only has about 1 1/2" of Kaowool in the lid and the flames are extending maybe that far into the forge. That's what my burners look like and that is maybe after 4-5 minutes of lighting it or everything in it would be yellow.

Looking again, this has to be a test run, all the soft fire bricks in the sidewalls are intact, after 3 or so firings soft brick starts crumbling, they are just not intended for this much heat.

Frosty The Lucky.

PhotoMoto 0039.jpg

No Frosty you were not unclear. I just ran out of time at the shop today. I just wanted to show you was on the path for the t burner's build. Yes I understand I have to fine tune ne the distance of the tip in the opening as well as cut down my mixing tube. Thanks for the advice. We see how it goes by We'd or Thursday when I get a chance to work on it again.

Frosty, directly compare? Not trying to be rude or anything but i dont get it... like does each burners optimal flame look different?  As in shape and color? Here i was thinking an all blue flame was what i was shooting for... boy was i wrong

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:53 AM, TFT said:

Without seeing the thing its gonna be hard to give advice but with that style of burner try slots instead of holes with a choke tube.... i have a burner that probably looks very similar with a bunch of holes but it was limited and i moved on to a venturi so i have made one with the slots

20160819_204916.jpg

If you look real carefully you can see all the holes behind the hammer and the pipe is like swiss cheese and the choke does nothing but reduce heat

Dear moose 65 if I had your address I would make and send you a good burner for your forge . I make  3 different kinds, they all work good. the best is the forced air burner , it is wicked.

1 hour ago, High Hat 66 said:

Dear moose 65 if I had your address I would make and send you a good burner for your forge . I make  3 different kinds, they all work good. the best is the forced air burner , it is wicked.

Whyd i get quoted for this?....

Yea for what i could tell but my forge chamber was only 110ci and the flame would hit the side wall and shoot off to the side then after the firge warms up you can barely see any secondary flame except for the dragons breath... i was testing outside the forge as to not get any mixed signals 

And my forge is o.c. atm refer to "vertical forge question" for my next forge.... hoping to buy materials soon

When I said the flames don't compare directly I'm referring to how they behave differently in different conditions. Firing into a super heated chamber as opposed to open air. I don't even try to tune mine to run in open air so I don't really know how to compare them. I can offer an opinion about the fuel air ratio yours displays as shown but it will perform differently in the forge. I never tune a forge burner outside a forge.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yea alright frosty ill just have to wait till i make my new forge... last night i reread kinda the same thing(not the strongest reader) in the forges101, sorry and thats why i work with numbers

But that burner COULD be ok? but it being in open air doesnt mean a thing... and now im afraid to show youll the burner i am/was using but im warming up to the idea of a blown burner

Don't sweat it the important information tends to get lost when one of those long winded guys gets going. :rolleyes:

Go ahead show us the burner, it can NOT be more messed up than the first few I made and I was able to get them "working". . . . eventually.  That burner certainly can, it's just a matter of tuning it for where it's going to be working. It's no big deal, honest.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok here it is but(this maybe my issue) my "mixing tube" is 12" i worked up to that but started with a 7-8" and i was just seeing how well it would work and ir appeared better... but i dont know whats what20160819_203718.jpg

And thats a 303/304ss flare i think thats my cause of that yellow/orange stripe... ive read that part of the "101" thread many times and stands out because thats all i use(scrap)... so far...