I Forge Iron

A big howdy from West Texas

Underforgejohn

"The journey of a thousand miles begin with a single step" and it looks like this is the first step."

Hows everyone doing? Most people call me Damian mostly because its my name heh. I started out just heating metal up over a open firepit a couple of years ago but stopped because of neighbors complained. Finally got a place of my own gonna build a proper forge and learn, learn, learn. From what i read this site looks like a good place to build up my smithing knowledge and hopefully i can one day contribute back with what i learn! P.s im always open to any advice or ideas.

Welcome aboard! Couple of bits of advice: 

1. I see you've already put your location in your profile. Good! This will not only help area smiths connect with you, but also affects questions about availability of materials, pricing of supplies, etc, etc.

2. Before asking any question, do your research! There is a HUGE amount of information on IFI, and almost any question you can think of has probably been asked before. Learning how to navigate the forum to find the answers you need is an important skill in its own right. (Pro tip #1: the pinned posts at the top of each subsection are always informative and helpful. Pro tip #2: the search feature in IF isn't particularly good; instead, do a Google search for what you want and include "iforgeiron" as a search term.)

(2a. A word of warning: some of the most knowledgeable members of IFI are also some of the crankiest curmudgeons you'll ever hope to meet, and they are sick to death of having to answer the same uninformed basic questions time and time again. Everyone here is a volunteer, and you have the chance to get solid, practical advice from smiths with all manner of experience and skill. Respect their time and expertise.)

3. When you do ask a question, be specific! Informed and specific questions will get you good answers.

4. Read the threads on getting started in blacksmithing. Think about the kind of work you want to do, and research that. (Warning: many of the older posts lost their illustrations in a software debacle a little while back. The text is still good.) Read about what other people are doing. Think about what tools you have, what tools you need, and what tools you can make. Don't get too fancy too fast. Don't give up. 

Damian what kind of work to you plan to do?  Apparently you are going to be forging.  What fuel do you want to use.  In your area Propane or Natural Gas are good choices.  They are readily available, consistent, relatively cheap and with a well constructed forge are a good heat source.

I was raised in Lovington, New Mexico.

Let me know if I can help you

Wayne