I Forge Iron

Zinc in a can?

I cannot personally speak to the quality of the spray on zinc. However, I can tell you that the chain link fence company I work for uses it frequently in the gate building department. After they finish welding the gate together they use the spray zinc to cover the welds and areas where the heat from the weld removed the galvanized finish on the pipe.

It is not bad, it has a high percentage of zinc. Like 70% or something. You really need to give everything a good clean, at least a good wire brush. 

If it is out in the weather I would try give it a coat of enemal or something over it to seal it, as it has a rather absorbent finish no doubt due to the high zinc content. In fact I think all, if not, most zinc paints are designed as a undercoat and if used like that they are great.

I've not used any for many years so the current market offerings may well be much improved. I used to use it when carrying out safety fence repairs where cut sections or drilled holes were liberaly coated with zinc paint/spray to ensure they were in line with the dipped galv original spec ( industrial standard aproved ) Yes it looked like a paint finish rather than dipped, but as far as I can remember (....and I still check on the sections we repaired nowm some are maybe 20yrs since, as I pass on my travels.....) they all seem to have stood the test of time, at the side of roads that have been heavily gritted in winter. So, does it work......yes, is it the same finish as dipped galv, no.