I Forge Iron

Mystery Charles Parker

Lou L

Howdy, I'm new to the forum.  Only recently in the past months rekindled my blacksmithing passion after falling in love with it at my friends farm many years ago.  I started collecting equipment and found this Chas Parker vise at a flea market.  I got it and a cross peen hammer for $40!  Anyway, I got home and tried to look up the vise mainly to figure out how much of a deal I got.  Turns out I couldn't find any info.  I finally found an ad for a number 44 in a Google books copy of a machinists magazine from 1908 I think.  It is a filers vise...whatever that is.  It has a 4" jaw and weighs about 38 pounds.  Does anyone know anything about this vise and is it large enough for blacksmith works if mounted well to a heavy work bench?

Thanks for any info,

Lou

image.jpeg

"is it large enough for blacksmith works"?       

Yes, No, Maybe depending on what kind of blacksmith works YOU are doing.  Definitely not a replacement for a postvise that is designed to be hammered on.  Will work for small stock twisting; I would *NOT* try twisting 1.5" sq stock in it even hot---a project I'm working on.  Ok for filing.  I have a somewhat similar columbian vise that I have mounted on the crank up table of my floor standing drill press and use for filing as I can adjust the height to the perfect range for the task.

Thanks for the fast reply.  Apologies for the typos.  "Blacksmith work" not "works" was my intention.  I blame the iPad that seems to think it knows what I mean to say!  Good point about my intentions.  I plan on doing ornamental stuff.  I'm working on leaves with the ultimate goal of making plant themed decorative items like wine bottle racks and trivets.  However, I have a load of tools to make and so much to learn along the way before I get there.  I guess the best thing to domes to use it until I realize I need something else.  Deep down, of course, I'm hoping it is a rare collector's item since it doesn't even exist in any database of Chas Parker vises.  I guess we all harbor dreams of big scores at the flea market. 

Great idea about making the height adjustable, thanks for that.

Lou

26 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

try twisting 1.5" sq stock in it even hot---a project I'm working on

you have me interested. what project are you doing??

Littleblacksmith