I Forge Iron

forklift fork steel

Does anyone know what type of steel that forklift fork steel is made from? I have done some research on the subject and found that it is made from 4140 or similar. Can the forks be welded without messing with the integrity of the steel? The other thing is should I get as much as I  can ? Will the make good hot cut tools or other tools ? I have decided that I would make a stump anvil from a piece and have access to a bunch more. I realize I have lots of stupid questions but I am just a newbie and would like some advice on the topic. The other steels I can get are hydraulic shafts that I am also wondering what they are made steel they are made of the only thing I know so far is it is a hardened steel other than that I don't know. And should this be something that I should be collecting also if there is anything else I should be looking for and your help with the above questions is appreciated. 

Thanks, Martin 

Forklift tines are made from MANY alloys; why would one assume they were only made from one? Age is often a factor too; as well as intended use.  I have a tine probably over 60 years old now used for heavy duty use in a steel casting company.  I don't think it's 4140.

How to weld 4140 steel: http://weldinganswers.com/how-to-weld-4140-steel/

Will it make good other tools?  Yes No Maybe depending on the specific tool and your specific requirements for them.

Should you get a lot of it?  If it's a great deal; YES! (and bring it to Quad-State and sell or trade it for other alloys/tools/money---hammer making sized chunks would probably be appreciated, anvil making sized chunks would be nice too but a much more limited market and a lot of weight to carry... )

Thomas Powers the forks are new and if it matters from united rental I can only assume that it is 4140 this is what I have found out on line but it was also stated that it was 4140 of comparable steel so whatever that ment I don't know. You mentioned tri state were is it ?is it this year in southern Ohio? This is what I  had found.  Excuse the dumb questions but as I previously stated I am a newbie who just today got my hands on something that I  can use for a stump anvil. I have a section of rail but I don't like it.You mentioned hammer steel I am guessing this would be sufficient for hammers. And just out of curiosity did you have a response to the other parts to ask for and I have a solid piece from the lifting mast of a fork lift from the lifting cylinder. Any idea  

Quad-State Blacksmiths Round Up happens every year in Troy Ohio, about 1/2 hour north of Dayton OH so about center on the west side of the state.    http://www.sofablacksmiths.org/quadstate/quadstate.html#

Hydraulic cylinder shafting has already been discussed on IFI previously and as I have not worked with it I am staying quiet on the subject.

Martin,

If you thinking of making an anvil with it- it will best serve you stood on end (you likely know that if you've read enough on here) .  When I got my chunk recently, First thing I did was stand it on end and do the ball bearing test.  It bounced the ball bearing higher than anything else i had so I set it in concrete and used it.  I just wrote a post about it.  I can't really answer any of your other questions since I am still new. Good luck and be sure to show us what you come up with in the form of pictures.

-Ben

4 hours ago, bengriswold said:

Martin,

If you thinking of making an anvil with it- it will best serve you stood on end (you likely know that if you've read enough on here) .  When I got my chunk recently, First thing I did was stand it on end and do the ball bearing test.  It bounced the ball bearing higher than anything else i had so I set it in concrete and used it.  I just wrote a post about it.  I can't really answer any of your other questions since I am still new. Good luck and be sure to show us what you come up with in the form of pictures.

Ben

Ben thanks for the support and yes I plan on using it on end but I would like to weld the two pieces together but I need to do a little more research on it due to the fact that it would be nice to have a surface that is a little wider audience and still as hard so I need to see if welding will cause me to have to HT and temper .  We will see what I come up with. 

Thanks, Martin