I Forge Iron

Flaming Nail Hooks

SReynolds

Make em wide or long and narrow. I forge the flame tip first on horn. Then lay the meaty portion of nail head on near side edge of face. Hammer just off center to widen. Little bit to left and same to right.

The hook; I roll an eye to back side with scrolling tong and then the hook to the front with same or a jig.

I place a punched hole in the flame. I perform that cold and with help from a punching block.

I can hand these out to folks if I like when they visit the historic village smithy or sell them. Make great key ring hangers. I can make one while folks watch even if the have a very short attention span.

No. 16 horse shoe nail. These are of my own invention.  Feel free to use them as you like.

20160730_120550.jpg

20160730_120737.jpg

20160730_121134.jpg

20160730_121331.jpg

Those turned out nice. It's a good basic shape for a finial, a little less end and some veins and they're leaves. I like them, pleasing shape (profile?) and maybe a bit more flickery wavery to the end tapers but maybe not.

Frosty The Lucky.

blacksmith birthday candles!

Littleblacksmith

yes!!! I hadn't thought of that! Actually...I hadn't thought of this. I have students make a quarter sized circle from the nail head. Then scroll an eye and then hook. Cold punch a hole near the top of said circle. Very very very careful hammer control to forge a circle. Obviously, students cannot do that, but I demonstrate hammer control so they realize that they are not ready to jump into swords. Which is what THEY ALL WANT TO MAKE AND NOTHING ELSE.

So I have then forge a very simple flame finial from 1/4" square stock. One students said, "can you forge a flame from a horseshoe nail head"? I dunno.........

The flame tip can have a wave to it or not. I do both. One can make the draw-out more pronounced to incorporate a very long flame tip, but it begins to look hoky if they are any longer than what I have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2016 at 6:12 PM, littleblacksmith said:

blacksmith birthday candles!

Littleblacksmith

That's awesome!