I Forge Iron

My first flower

I use Hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid for swimming pools is a good ready mixed source) to clean inside, on those occasions I want to clean inside. A few minutes in a fresh solution will dissolve or loosen the scale making it easy to dislodge the rest in a baking soda rinse followed by a hot fresh water rinse then some kind of coating as soon as dry. Which is why I use hot water, it dries pretty quick and I can then use a brass brush and clear coat.

Nice work, I threw a bunch of mine in the slack tub before I had one to show.

nice job ;)

We also employ hydrochloric acid quite a bit (about 35% dilution level in you average Murriatic for etching cement) but it doesn't "shine" the residue that is left behind is ferrous chloride (Iron chloride II)

to buff or shine something in a crevice without a lot of labor, I'd look into some sort of tumbling media maybe with vibration (sonic) cleaning

Parts cleaning
Ultrasonic cleaning

used to use sonic cleaning on these

Did you use the Alwin Wagener demo as your template flower? Great job! I can't wait till; (a. my neck gets better so I can hammer) (b. I can build my treadle so I can hammer) so that I can try that out also.

Thanks for all the support!

Yes the picture in that post is what I used for the idea. I couldn't see the back or bottom so I was not sure how to finish that part out. I kept the roll tight but in the end on the bottom I ended up with what looked like rolled metal ( which it is). I thought maybe if you made a cup like arrangement, to slide up the stem to cover the bottom and looked like the outside petals, might work. Maybe even add some leaves to that part you slide up somehow. But thats another day. thanks again

nice job ;)

We also employ hydrochloric acid quite a bit (about 35% dilution level in you average Murriatic for etching cement) but it doesn't "shine" the residue that is left behind is ferrous chloride (Iron chloride II)

to buff or shine something in a crevice without a lot of labor, I'd look into some sort of tumbling media maybe with vibration (sonic) cleaning

Parts cleaning
Ultrasonic cleaning

used to use sonic cleaning on these

Thanks Ice, I think the link on the bottom might be wrong or maybe I am missing something.:D

I use Hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid for swimming pools is a good ready mixed source) to clean inside, on those occasions I want to clean inside. A few minutes in a fresh solution will dissolve or loosen the scale making it easy to dislodge the rest in a baking soda rinse followed by a hot fresh water rinse then some kind of coating as soon as dry. Which is why I use hot water, it dries pretty quick and I can then use a brass brush and clear coat.

Nice work, I threw a bunch of mine in the slack tub before I had one to

show.

Thanks, I will look into that more, I also am thinking about what finnr said about the contrast, and opening the rose up more would help.