I Forge Iron

The sledge head is designed for driving railroad spikes into rail road ties (sleepers) and so came with the two cylindrical ends---of differing diameters.   We actually did 2 of them the other one was from an old driving sledge that had two longer tapered  sq section ends.

How I fastened it was: I forged a round tenon on the end of the shaft while at the big shop and fitted it close to the sledge eye back in my own shop through forging and grinding and filing and cussing and then forged the cold sledge head down on the quite hot indeed tenon and  *riveted* it in place letting the cooling off draw it very solidly together. I ran the tenon a tad short as I plan to weld over the top to make the flat for forging and wanted a bit more weld over the join (fallback position in case it ever worked "loose")

I'm currently working on a smaller version where we are forging the sledge head out to the form I want and did a twist in the shaft for ornamentation. It's a smaller one to be more portable though it will need a taller stump, IIRC the shaft on it is 1.5".  Work is based on when I have access to friends with good hammering skills and a foolish tendency to work for beer....Or a meeting of local smiths; but I repeat myself...

Bottom of the shaft is a long tapered spike, designed to be driven into a stump---also makes it easier to take it off the stump for moving.  I often pair it with my medieval "cube" anvil that Steve Parker forged for me to show a medieval answer to anvils with no horns.