I Forge Iron

Anvil id help

I got this anvil for helping some one move some stuff. He told me that it was his grandfather's and that he wasn't sure but he may have brought it over from England. My guess is PW but I'm new to blacksmithing and this is my first real anvil. Was heavily rusted and had multiple coats of paint. The only marking I have found is a P stamped on the front of it. Haven't weighed it but it has to be an easy 75. Please help me I'd this old workhorse

IMAG0527.jpg

IMAG0526.jpg

IMAG0524.jpg

IMAG0523.jpg

IMAG0522.jpg

IMAG0521.jpg

Hi nkearns  have a close look at the side with orange paint that's were the marking  would be on a peter wright, hit it with a wire brush and use chalk to high lite any marks. Does look like a PW; pity about the missing section of top plate but even so you could still use it if you stay on the rear 3\4 section and of course the horns ok. For moving stuff that's a good score. Cheers.

The ledges on the front and back feet and basic conformation does match PWs.  It can be used as it still has some of the face over the sweet spot. It's definitely an older one where the face was welded on as a series of plates---one of which has failed and fallen off.

PLEASE do not pay excessively high prices for an anvil with  massive damage to it; the loss of the face plate should cut the price in 1/2 over one that was complete.  OTOH damaged anvils are sometimes sold quite cheaply and that one is still a usable one for a learner.  I have on that lost the heel at the front edge of the hardy hole but the face over the sweet spot is  thick and hard and smooth and  and well worth the US$40 I spent on a 125# Powell anvil. (I preferentially use it in classes where folks need to do heavy hammer work)

It is a Peter Wright solid wrought 105 markings 0 3 19. Anyone have a clue as to how old it may be? Thank you very much Stan you were right about where the markings were and Thomas Powers I used your method to find it. It's my 2nd anvil in two weeks and I've spent only $10. My first one is a rr anvil I got at a garage sale. I'm very excited about it. I spent 6 hours forging today on it. Can't wait to wake up and get after it again

• 3 weeks later...