I Forge Iron

Hello from England

Effigy

Hi, just wanted to say hello.

Only recently into metal bashing - made my first damascus, which turned out ok:)

Have recently bought a double burner relic of a forge, and would like to get a fly press, but my wife has decided that we are to move house this year, so things will have to be put on hold for a while.

Being very much a novice, I'm itching to learn all I can from you guys, and hopefully one day put something back;)

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the welcome!:)

We currently live in a very rural part of Worcestershire, next to the Malvern Hills, but we will be moving to the Staffordshire moorlands soon. When we moved here 5 years ago, I said that this will be the last move :rolleyes: Just goes to show, never say never!

Still, part of the trade off will be that I get a bigger workshop (though I have to build it myself, which really will be part of the fun!).

I really want to get my forge up and running as soon as possible. Since buying it off a farrier, I have not had chance to use it. Just fired it up to check that it worked, then had to pack it away again:mad:

Also, I will have to sort out a usable anvil. I have been using a piece off a fork lift truck, but it is far from suitable.

Hello Frank and welcome to the party! What sort of smithing do you fancy?
Yes, moving does indeed bite; Isn't it amazing to realize how much stuff one has accumulated over time once the packing begins?
I too am in the same boat as you, have not been able to erect a proper shop here where I am and so look forward to moving. As such I smith out in the open or gripe indoors awaiting better weather, so good for you that you can now commence with creating your smithy.
Perhaps I am amiss but I had the impression that the countryside of merry old England was peppered, nay, awash in old anvils. That a bloke could hardly stumble home from the pub without tripping over some errant hulk just laying about???:rolleyes:Dan. WELCOME!!!