I Forge Iron

Peddinghaus anvil.

Hello. I take my first post to introduce myself and to make the first question.

Iam
 Derk Jan. From the Netherlands (Holland)

I do visit this site a lot because iam, willing to do some iron forging. Like knives etc etc. Small 
stuff. I came across this forum and i must say i was blown away by al the info that is on it. It will help me a lot with al the questions i have. In the Netherlands there are some blacksmiths but because it's a small country the info is limited. This is why i decided to make a account on iforgeiron.

The first question is....

I bought a anvil. It's a peddinghaus?. I think about 100kg?? more or less. It looks oke. But i would like to know how old it is? I try to get some photo's in this post,taken from Marktplaats (like the Dutch  craigslist eBay) I don't have the anvil at home yet,can't take more pictures right now. You do like to say how it's pay'd by Dollar to the lbs. I pay'd 2 euro's a KG. Good deal i think,even in the Netherlands. I know there is some good knowledge on anvils here,so i hope to get some answers. Iam just curious. On top the first anvil i own. For a couple of years know. Not in the best shape but i use the round horn to make twostroke exhaust. 

I hope to be around for a long time on this forum and get info and show my first steps in forging iron. I will  do my best to make my posts as good as i can in your language. But forgive me if i make some  mistakes...

2cfb9ko.jpg

2mry8ef.jpg20u22yw.jpg1r818g.jpg2mnkosz.jpg4qiuis.jpg

Welcome aboard.

Don't know what your concerns are.  Those both look like fantastic anvils that will be more than adequate for forging knives and small items.  The stake anvil is particularly clean and the hardy hole in the "London Pattern" is in a much better location IMHO than the usual heel penetration.  Face, edges and horns all look fairly pristine.  I'm no collector, so don't much care how old an anvil is, but those look to be great workers and I'd be very pleased to use them.

Thank's for your replay Latticino. I thought it was in good shape. No big concerns about that. ( made a downpayement unseen) I just would know how old it is,and by the cm's the weight +-. It's confusing because of the stamp (pfp , original pfp, fire welded , electric welded) and that kind of things.

The stake anvil lookst great,but that's because it was done by a  "flapdisc?"The top is pretty round not straight and flat. But i don't use it for that part. 

Over here I would expect to pay at least twice that and most likely even more for that Anvil, (brand and condition excellent)!

Will you be forging with charcoal, coal, coke or propane?  

My parents spent 4 years in Naarden and I got to visit; lovely country!

i think i wil use propane. my workshop is at home and i don't think the neighbours would like me to use coal. And propane wil do the job i ges. 

Naarden? Nice city,and old. Famous in the Netherlands. I live way up north,near the city of Groningen.

Got the anvil at home. If the seller told me it was a new anvil i would believe that. It's in a amazing state.

And because of that,iam getting very curious about how old the anvil is. Anyone at this forum that could put me in the right direction?

Gegroet vanuit Alphen aan den Rijn, Nederland :).

I will continue in English.

Jan, your Peddinghaus is made sometime in the 1950s. The "Original P.F.P." anvils are the last ones to have been forge welded at the waist.
The after the 1950s Succesor marked "PEDDINGHAUS" and the contemporary "RIDGID Peddinghaus" are electrically welded at the waist.

I own several of the "PFP" and "Original PFP" anvils and one RIDGID Peddinghaus anvil.
It's a joy to work on these drop forged steel anvils. :D

Groeten,

Joe