I Forge Iron

new forge, did I do well? can anyone identify?

HI all!

Long time lurker, first time posting :-)

I just picked up a forge, 1.5HP electric blower, and a full 20 gallon drum of Bituminous coal for $150.  I'm hoping that I got as good of a deal that I think I did :-)

can anyone identify this forge for me?  I'll dig into it on Saturday to try and hook up handle to turn the flywheel.  The blower spins nicely as does the flywheel.

I have the leather belt, and the bracket for the wooden handle.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction for hooking up the handle to spin the flywheel that would be fantastic.  or maybe there are some pictures of this model in fully operational status that i could use as a reference?

thanks all!

Mike B

20160504_183257.thumb.jpg.ebcb776c5ff33b20160504_183413.thumb.jpg.7eb9bcfad782c520160504_183914.thumb.jpg.cdbffd006bf9d8

Hate to say it, but I think it may be broken. The belt goes around the big wheel to the blower but I don't see the mechanism to make the big wheel turn. Looks like parts missing to the right and above the drive wheel in the bottom picture. Even with that being said, don't sound like a bad deal to me, whats there appears to be in good shape.

Adding your location to your profile will help local people find you.

Hello all.

I'm not sure that it is the exact same one, but I had a forge much like it. The small nub with a hole on top is where pivot of the handle sits. A rod connects the far end of the handle with a triangle gear. The gear rocks back and forth as the handle pumps up and down. The triangle gear meshes with a gear on the flywheel axle. This gear has a slip, so it turns the flywheel only when it turns the correct way. The flywheel drives a belt that spins the blower's axle.

When I look at the last picture, your triangle gear looks broken. The teeth and the nob that connects the gear to the handle is missing too, I think. Actually, now that I look closely, I think it's on backwards as well as broken. I also don't see any gearing on the flywheel axle, but there aren't any real obvious gaps where I would look for it.

I had a picture of my assembled one before it started to self-destruct. I'll see if I can find them.

Erich

I'm still searching, but I don't think this model has the quarter gear on it... although I may be wrong.  I've seen a lot of pictures of other Rivet forges that have the gear setup and this one looks different.

It might supposed to have a gear on it, but for some reason I dont' think so...  

yes, the pivot handle is broken, but I do have the bracket that goes into that little nub that sticks out ;-)  I'm sure I can fashion something up to connect it up.

If not, I have that electric blower I got along with it... I can always use that... however I'd much rather use the lever and blower that's attached

thanks all!

Mike B

ok, so, thanks to the help here that have sent me some information,

I've found out it's a Canedy hero forge number 6. 

there aren't any gear teeth on this model, as it uses a leather strap to acomplish the same thing.  i do have a broken part that I'd love pictures of a complete example.  Take a peek at the portion within the yellow circle.

If anyone knows of, or has one of these please take a few pictures.  if you have one of those arms that you'd be willing to sell to me, let me know that too please! :-)

thanks!

Mike B

heroforgenumber6.jpg